Sunday, January 8, 2012

Coffee Mille Feuille – child’s play!

Pin It
Naughty breakfast!

When I was a child, my cousin Pamela had what I considered to be one of the best jobs in the world – right up there with ballerina, stunt pilot or zoo keeper. She sold pastries from a little bakery close to where my mother shopped. It would have been just plain rude not to pop in and visit when in the neighbourhood.

Pamela always had a cake for me and my brother when we stopped by to pester her say hi. Oh such agonising over what to choose! My favourites were crackly chocolate éclairs, squidgy cream doughnuts, and coffee slices, which I could separate into a thousand puff pastry layers, having licked away the vanilla cream and the coffee icing. You’ll be glad to know I’ve developed manners since and no longer dismantle my food before consuming it (well not much). Although, I did have these for simple little mille feuille for breakfast...

For 12 pastries (6 portions) you will need...
1 sheet decent quality puff pastry (250g)
icing sugar to dust


Hidden potential...


That's more like it!

For the coffee cream you will need...

250mls fresh cream
25g icing sugar, sifted
2 heaped teaspoons instant coffee granules dissolved in 2 teaspoons boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk, dissolve, sift, swirl, sigh!

Preheat the oven to 200°C
1                 Trim the edges of the pastry sheet with a sharp knife so that they are straight. Cut into 12 equal rectangles approximately 5cm (2 inches) by 10cm (4 inches). Transfer to a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking parchment.
2                 Dust generously with icing sugar and transfer to the preheated oven. Bake for approximately 8 – 10 minutes or until the pastry is well risen and golden brown and the sugar has caramelised. Transfer to a cooling rack.
3                 For the coffee cream, simply whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks when you lift the whisk out. Whisk in the icing sugar, the dissolved coffee, and the vanilla extract until combined.
4                 Split the cooled pastries and fill with the flavoured cream. Dust with icing sugar before serving with a decent brew.

Variation: Coffee is great with orange or blackcurrant. Add another flavour dimension by spreading the pastry with good quality marmalade or homemade blackcurrant jam.
Pin It

22 comments:

  1. This sounds divine, and simple enough for me to make. I guess the roles have changed, Pamela now comes by to say hi to you, after checking the daily specials on your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these. Coffee slices were one of my favorite things too. The bakery my brother worked at also put icing on top of theirs.

    Delicious but not in keeping with any New Year's Resolution LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do sound like breaking my diet over! Coffee cream! And pastry! Lucky child you were, and great tempting baker you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, I love mille feuilles, and the coffee filling sounds perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my...the idea of coffee cream is making my mouth water! What a beautiful pastry...a delightful way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pastries look wonderful! I love the coffee cream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so delicious! Believe it or not, since I don't bake or make desserts all that often, I make chocolate éclairs for my hubby now and then. It's his all time favorite dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HESTER!
    I love love love that photo of you on the sidebar.
    I also love the picture you painted of the child-Hester pestering her cousin for a sweet treat. I am sure you were not pestering at all. These sound delicious Hester and I think I will make them for my Mum who is getting back from her Christmas Holidays tomorrow. One of her favourite treats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suddenly coffee at breakfast will never be the same, thinking of your coffee mille feuilles. Imagine having a cousin working in a pastry shop - that does sound like what dreams are made of!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These pastries do look amazing. Love the filling flavor as well as the pastry itself-yum!
    Working in a pastry shop would be loads of fun, but since I am not in that position I will have fun at my house making these. Thanks for sharing these lovely gems.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely going to make these. We defrosted the freezer yesterday and I was wondering how I was going to use up the puff pastry that is now sitting in the fridge. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks very sophisticated but as a child I think I would have been at the Jammy doughnuts. However, my tastes have changed and I would love one of these and I also want to try a Fuzzy Navel, via FT's post. Never thought I would say that either :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hester...I have a confession to make to you. I love naughty breakfasts!!! These look divine! So simple but so special. I love coffee flavors in pastry and that just helps me justify them for breakfast as well. And your suggestion of pairing the coffee with orange has piqued my interest! These are beautiful! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delicious recipe and I would probably take it apart just like you did and count the layers! I really like the coffee flavoring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My first time stopping by, and so glad I did! I agree that Pamela's work sounds like job nirvana. Lucky lady.

    I love this new take on mille feuille, especially the addition of coffee, which I adore. I've been making espresso eclairs for my fiance, so your mille feuille would be a lovely addition to the coffee repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If being naughty is wrong, I don't want to be right.

    Not when it comes to these coffee gems!

    And I love your new profile pic, lady!! Ooooh la la!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw this in the top 9 today (congrats!) and it really is beautiful. I love eclairs and having a breakfast-type eclair is just too good to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Hester, these look absolutely fantastic! I'm not sure what I would do without puff pastry in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your pastries look amazing and delicious. I will reset my start date of eating right for these goodies. Thank you for sharing this post and wishing the best of 2012.

    ~ ray ~

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is my idea of breakfast...love these! I just adore coffee flavors, especially in light fluffy pastry :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so easy to make, and you gave me a hope! I love Mille Feuille, actually it's my mom's favorite dessert. I want to make this soon Coffe flavor is perfect so I tell kids they are all mine. Just kidding. =P

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum! Made these this morning for my husband to share at work and they turned out pretty darn tasty! I modified by making a maple cream and using brown sugar on half of the pastries. They were excellent, thanks for another great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!