Saturday, April 23, 2011

Chocolate Truffle Frosting – it’s a meltdown!

Pin It
I’ll be brief. I’ve had a meltdown. Literally.
You see.... my sister gave me this enormous dark chocolate egg... and while I know it isn’t Easter for a few more hours, I cannot help myself. I am an instant gratification sort of girl.

Thumbs up for this meltdown!

This is what happened to that egg…
I smashed it to smithereens (love that word). Having measured 100g of chocolate smithereens into a bowl, I poured 100mls of boiling double cream over it and added a dash of vanilla extract. I stirred... and stirred... and stirred until the chocolate had melted into the cream, then popped it into the refrigerator for a couple of hours until it had set into what is essentially a chocolate truffle mixture.
Next, some "quality control" – it took several spoonfuls of quality control to be quite sure it was divine.
The delivery system of choice was some feather-light zesty lemon cupcakes. I piped the frosting with a Wilton 1M star nozzle. This was enough to cover 8 cupcakes – and probably more had I skipped the quality control stage ;-)
To decorate each cupcake, I pressed 3 mini eggs into the chocolate truffle frosting - as it’s Easter… almost.

Mmmmmmmmmm … nom nom  
Happy Easter everyone!
Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Cute and probably more delicious than it looks! I am addicted to mini eggs (and I eat those color...) , and maybe tomorrow I am hiding them in some improbable places to entertain the bunnies in the house. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute! and quality control is very important- how do you know what you're making is delicious without it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. My kind of meltdown. Happy Easter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a problem posting comments via foodbuzz just now. Parsley Sage said "Just wanted to tell you how awesome your little cupcakes were. And that smithereens may be the best word ever."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed that chocolate to smithereens! Don't blame you one tiny bit. You have to have quality control. (My mother-in-law says Lent ends at sundown Saturday, anyhow.) Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how creative! wonderful way to use up that easter chocolate.. i probably wouldve just engulfed that bunny : j

    ReplyDelete
  7. What delicious looking cakes and mini eggs! It's magical how you put the beautiful colors together! It's one fantastic still life picture to display in a museum! Bravo Hester!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful little cupcakes! Quality control is a good thing when it comes to chocolate. You just never know :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! This sounds like the PERFECT way to use that egg! :D Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks and sounds heavenly and I got a chuckle out of the "quality control"-- a very important part of cooking for sure! I'm sure all of the melting chocolate smelled wonderful too!! Yum! Hope you had a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a lovely reinvention with your cupcakes. I had done the same for Easter with bars of chocolate.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! Wish I would have seen these before Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these look great. love how you made these look sooo tasty

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! I'm all about "quality control" too!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!