Sunday, April 9, 2017

Ginger-roasted Rhubarb Cake with Vanilla Crumble Topping – catch it while you can!

Pin It
A sheaf of plump rhubarb has sat pride of place on the kitchen table for the past week. The world is its oyster. It could be anything it wants to be...  but it is just sat there. It needs direction. Here are a few ideas as to what it might become...

The world is my oyster apparently ...
 A career as rhubarb fool would be fun and rather light-hearted, but it looks like serious rhubarb to me.
Perhaps a career as a crumble or a tart? A little too serious maybe - and besides tarts and crumbles are wintery food and look at that beautiful sunshiny day!
Well then, how about rhubarb and vanilla ice cream? Delightful, but it’s only April and while sunshiny, it’s hardly ice cream weather is it? Let’s save that one for another occasion.
I know! This sheaf of rhubarb has everything it takes to become a successful and delectable ginger-roasted rhubarb cake. Oh alright, I’ll throw in a vanilla crumble topping too.
For approximately 10 servings you will need...
Ginger-roasted rhubarb
300g rhubarb, cut into bite-sized pieces
75g Muscovado sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger

Sugar and spice - ginger-roasted rhubarb
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
1          Combine all the ingredients in a shallow pie dish and bake for 20 minutes in the pre-heated oven, stirring carefully once or twice during cooking so that the rhubarb is evenly coated in the syrup that is generated. When the cooking time has elapsed, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Meanwhile, prepare the vanilla crumble topping.

Vanilla crumble topping
120g butter, chilled and cut into about 10 cubes
75g plain flour
75g rolled oats
50g Muscovado sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1          Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz in short bursts until roughly combined. Chill until ready to use. (The quantities given make about twice as much crumble topping as you’ll need for this cake but it freezes beautifully for next time.)
2         Next, make the cake batter.

Cake batter
200g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of salt
175g caster sugar

100mls sunflower oil
50mls freshly squeezed orange juice (or milk)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract (or rose water)
2 eggs, beaten

a small knob of butter for greasing the tin

Pre-heat the oven to 170°C
1          Butter and baseline a 23cm (9 inch) sandwich tin.
2          In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, combine the first 4 ingredients.
3          In a measuring jug or batter bowl, combine the oil, orange juice, vanilla extract and eggs and add to the bowl of dry ingredients, mixing until well combined.
4          Pour half the batter into the prepared tin. Drain any excess syrup from the rhubarb (this is good spooned over ice cream) and scatter the cooled pieces on top of the batter, leaving a small margin around the edges. Spoon the remaining batter on top. Don’t be too fussy about covering up all the rhubarb as you'll be covering it with crumble.
 5         Scatter the crumble mix over the top and bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutes or until well risen and golden on top. A cocktail stick inserted in the middle should come out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.  


Catch me while you can!

This is really good served slightly warm, with a dollop of whipped cream, and is even better the following day when the flavours have had a chance to develop (but it rarely hangs round long enough for that to happen).

Pin It

34 comments:

  1. I am going to catch it, because I am going to bake one! What a nicelicious rhubarb recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when my neighbor who grows rhubarb brings me over some. Totally makes my day. It's spring now, so hopefully soon I'll start getting some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE rhubarb and I LOVE the three elements in this cake - the yummy sponge, the roasted rhubarb and the vanilla crumble - genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy!! i have not tried a rhubarb recipe yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really awesome, good use of rhubard. In case its sunny and warm tomorrow you can have it with ice cream:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Three-Cookies - good plan! It would be perfect with ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never cooked with rhubarb... I had actually never seen it before moving here!!! I am always so fascinated by it when I see it at the store, but I never bought it as I would not know how to make it... so this recipe is fantastic for me! I can finally buy rhubarb the next time I see it!!!! Thanks Hester! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious! My rhubarb is just beginning to come up, but once it is ready to harvest, I am making this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, yes yeeeessssss, to quote ! Yes I'm too embaressing to invite to dinner :-)
    for an English quote 'right up my street' too !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I saw your blog through Bromograghy. The Rhubarab cake ended with great results through your start to finish pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cake looks gorgeous! I've never tried roasted rhubarb, but it looks delicious. Perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't been much of a rhubarb fan . . . this post convinces me to broaden my horizons past just mixing with strawberries. I love evrything else roasted. Why not!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When we lived in the Pacific Northwest, we had tons of rhubarb. Now, I live in the desert of Arizona and there is none to be had for a reasonable price. Your recipe reminded me of how much I love rhubarb. Sounds like a lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Hester, your rhubarb cake looks absolutely delicious and irresistible! I'll make this for sure as soon as these colorful crispy stalks appear in the market. I'll add your recipe to my treasure chest! Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hester this looks like something you'd get down at your local cafe. It looks incredible. I just realized that everything ruhubarb I've ever eaten has been prepared by someone else ... maybe it is time to venture into new territory. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This cake sounds amazing! And I love your opening about the rhubarb's career. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ginger-roasted rhubarb!?!?!? I would LOVE to make a strawberry rhubarb pie with this ginger-infused touch! This looks AMAZING! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds absolutely amazing! I love the idea of roasting rhubarb with ginger, such an incredible flavor combination and so good with the vanilla crumble topping, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hester, this is perfection on a plate and I'm puzzled! I keep trying (in my mind) to match the flavors of rhubarb and ginger, what it would taste like, but it's a dead in I'm afraid... Going to make it this weekend for an indulging Sunday breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE your post. Career choices? Nice one. Roasted rhubarb with ginger? I want to catch this one, too. Just beautiful. AND well done on Top9! YAY.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love desserts with rhubarb but I've never baked with it. This cake looks incredible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks absolutely delicious! Rhubarb says spring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds divine. Rhubarb is one one those foods that goes well with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum, yum. Everything you make makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  25. When I was little my grandmother lived on a farm in Minnesota. In the summer she had rhubarb in the garden and I always refused to eat it, I think it was the name. However, a few years ago someone served a rhubarb/strawberry pie and I couldn't get out of eating it without being impolite, so I tired it. Well, I asked for second piece!! I'm saving this one too. I've not cooked with it myself, but rhubarb and eggplant are on my list this year to see what I can do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum! I love rhubarb. Buzzed this and am a new follower!!!
    - Jessica
    http://cajunlicious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. You do such a fantastic job with your pictures. They are truly mouthwatering!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my! The pictures of the rhubarb have me drooling! This recipe has made me want to branch out and try to make something with rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment is a little late but this looks SO delicious! I'm definitely going to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow. Just wow. We've been on vacation but I am so hoping to see Rhubarb at the markets when we return. I think this might be the first recipe I try!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks so good! I have never tried rhubarb. It's my goal to try it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks so good! I love ginger anything. I've only tried rhubarb (a small piece in a cake) once, but I think I'm going to have to give this recipe a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Made it, it worked out perfectly. You're right, even better the next day.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!