Thursday, July 14, 2011

Beetroot, Orange and Feta Salad – charmed I’m sure!

Pin It Great recipes are like great stories. To keep them fresh and alive, each recipient must keep the essential ingredients and add some embellishments of their own.

My good friend Lorraine (poet, playwright, novelist and general all round funny girl) throws together an amazing beetroot salad. Could I steal it for my blog, I asked. Sure! She in turn had robbed it from her sister, who had gotten it from someone else, and so on. For me to make a beetroot salad is a big step, given how much I absolutely loathed it for years. If you are in the "loathe" camp, I urge you to try it again. You may surprise yourself.

Simply delicious!

It couldn’t be simpler. Shake some rocket leaves (arugula) onto a plate, add beetroot, orange and goats cheese. Et voila! - a dish full of rustic charm and bursting with flavour, without the kitchen staff breaking a sweat.

Except... my rustic charm gene had turned itself off the day I decided to make this salad. When I went to assemble the ingredients, the result was tasty but looked like a dog’s dinner. The more I tried to fix it, the more it fought back.
I refused to be beaten by beetroot! If it would not be bullied into submission, then I would just have to charm it onto the plate. How to charm it? Just add flowers.
Beetroot, Orange and Feta salad - greater than the sum of its parts

For each serving you will need...

1 beetroot, cooked and peeled
5 orange segments, pith removed
25g feta cheese, roughly crumbled
a selection of salad leaves, including some flat leafed parsley

As well as these essential ingredients, I added the following embellishments:

a tablespoon of fresh rocket flowers(arugula flowers)*
a teaspoon of fresh lavender flowers, unsprayed, organic

Beetroot tends to stain!
1                 Thinly slice the beetroot (a mandolin slicer is best for this job – mind fingers!) Place the beetroot slices on absorbent kitchen paper to blot up any excess juices. I used heart shaped cutters to stamp out pretty shapes for this salad.

2                 Arrange the beetroot in the centre of the plate. Arrange the other ingredients to please your eye. It is as simple as that (most days).
This salad needs no salt as the already salty Feta acts as a seasoning. You could add some vinaigrette to the leaves for an extra layer of flavour.

* I ended up with rocket flowers because I turned my back for a moment and my rocket plants went to seed. The flowers taste just like the leaves. If you are not a careless gardener like me, and don't have an accidental supply of rocket flowers, you could use other edible flowers like nasturtium, or borage as suggested by Mona of Wise Words.
Pin It

31 comments:

  1. Unique combination of ingredients, and it certainly left a lasting impression:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous salad! I think the little beetroot stain is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hester, this salad is so beautiful. Love the addition of the flowers. Haven't seen rocket flowers so have to find them. They're adorable. Beetroot and orange also a lovely combo. Even your stains are gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty salad! I love the stain :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are three of my favorite foods, especially when their together! It's true that the best salads aren't always beautiful. Your beet-hearts are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute is this?! Love the idea and it looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. j'adore those heart shaped beets... heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Hester This salad is stunningly gorgeous, I have to say! You just inspired me to make beautiful salad for you too! My next post is for you. Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous Hester! I love the flowers and how simple it is to throw together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hester...believe it or not...there was once a time when I refused to even try beets. But from my first bite on, I was hooked! This salad is beyond beautiful! Your pictures are gorgeous! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have buzzed this beautiful, charming dish! The heart cut-outs made me smile....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous Hester. I grow rocket but have very few flowers? However, Borage grows like a weed inside and outside our polytunnel and it is a gorgeous star-shaped purple (edible) flower. Sharing this on Facebook. So so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The presentation is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know... beetroots are the only food I don't eat (I have really bad memories from my childhood :S), but maybe it's time to give it a try ... again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so pretty ... what an original way to serve beetroot. I didn't know that you could eat the arugula flowers and will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those heart-shaped beets! And this recipe's lineage - great recipes are totally meant to be shared and passed on, and this one looks like one of em...

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful and delicious salad simple and beautiful I love the flowers, hugs. and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this salad! I've never used the flowers with it and I always use home made pickled beetroot. It's an absolute favorite salad for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks so yummy! I just tried beets for the first time earlier this week, so it's great to see another way to prepare them. I love the pairing with the goat cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful salad! I love the heart shaped beets!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have always had an aversion to beets. However, your lovely salad is tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, yum! And besides being delicious...this is one gorgeous salad. I'm thinking of some sliced beets with your basil vinaigrette....mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE the heart shaped beets :) And all the elements of this salad sound so perfect together... Gorgeous pictures, too! Love that little beet stain :) Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This salad is love on a plate! Great way of serving the beetroots. The little flowers are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love beets! This salad is one that will continue to be shared and "stolen" by many. What a great recipe. Love the heart shaped beets, too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hester, I love the flavors!! Everything in there is a favorite... especially the feta. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like beetroot. I am looking forward to trying this recipe. I love the heart shapes. It really makes a beautiful salad.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Loving the beet root recipe .. and it is such a cute hearth shape one :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely sentimental plate with a touch of classic and floral aroma. I am turned on, it's sexy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Hester, your beetroot salad looks as appealing as it is simple - Die-ing to try it! PJ & Frances (Loathe beetroot camp!)

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks like a beautiful stained glass window! I heart this salad!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!