Monday, August 7, 2017

Rosehip and Honey Pannacotta – A Conspiracy Theory

Pin It When I travel, I love to taste local dishes on the grounds that if you order food in its natural environment, it is produced by people who love the dish and who know how it should taste.

Sometimes life and waiters conspire against me.

Happiness is... Rosehip and Honey Pannacotta

In the States, I have tried repeatedly to taste an authentic American cornbread. On each occasion, my order has been misheard (perhaps the Irish accent – “so charming honey”, but clearly unintelligible) or “the kitchen’s just out”.

If pannacotta was a flower it would be sweetpea
The same goes for Pannacotta. I have tried in Venice. I have tried in Verona. I have even tried several Italian restaurants in Ireland where surely they’d be used to the accent. On each occasion I have been brought a delicious dessert but not Pannacotta. Am I saying it wrong? Pah-nah-cot-ah?  PAHna COHtah? PannaCOTTa?
Straight from the hedgerows ;-)

This has happened so often that I have evolved a theory: Some people closely guard the location of their favourite restaurant in case it gets too popular... Perhaps, cornbread and Pannacotta are just too good to share.

Clearly, I am just going to have to make my own to find out.

For 6 servings you will need...
...to lightly oil 6 ramekins, cups or moulds with a flavourless oil
4 sheets of gelatine
250mls double (heavy) cream
300mls Greek yoghurt
60g runny honey
50mls rosehip syrup or cordial (undiluted)


Rosehip and Honey Dressing
2 tablespoons runny honey
1 tablespoon rosehip syrup or cordial (undiluted)

A selection of fresh berries to serve


1                    Place the gelatine in a bowl of cold water and leave it for about 5 minutes to soften.
2                    Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan heat the cream and honey together until just simmering at the edges. Remove from the heat.
3                    Drain off the water from the gelatine and squeeze out any excess. Replace in the empty bowl and add a little of the hot cream mixture. Stir together until the gelatine has dissolved completely. Pour the gelatine mixture into the saucepan and stir to disperse it through the liquid. Add in the Greek yoghurt and stir the mixture with a whisk until the yoghurt has blended smoothly into the liquid. Don’t go too crazy with the whisk. You don’t want to incorporate loads of bubbles into the mixture.
4                    Finally, stir in the rosehip cordial or syrup until dispersed through the mixture. Divide between the oiled containers. Cover with cling film and refrigerate until set (at least 6 hours – or overnight if possible).
5                    Just before serving, make the Rosehip and Honey Dressing by mixing together the honey and syrup/cordial until combined.
6                    To remove the Pannacotta from each container, sit them briefly into hot water until they loosen at the edges, then cover with a serving plate and flip over. If Murphy’s Law doesn’t come into play, you’ll end up with a perfect Pannacotta ready to be surrounded by fresh berries and drizzled with Rosehip and Honey Dressing.

Make it the day before for a super-easy delightful dessert
(If Murphy’s Law does come into play, or you get distracted, it could end up on the floor...)
Pin It

46 comments:

  1. When in Galway Hester, we will make Authentic cornbread together as the Chef is from Alabama and makes the best best ever loaf I have tried. And, I think your Pannacotta is way better than the one in Venice ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Pannacotta! I have had it at one place that made it wonderfully years ago. But I can never seem to order it anywhere else and if I do it's somehow not right. My husband and I had dinner at a place where it was on their online menu with a picture and I tried to order it. No such luck! They said we no longer make it! Sigh! I have a recipe to make my own but haven't attempted it yet. Yours looks wonderful and I think I need to just make it already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your on to something! I feel the same way about a lot of local dishes. Your version does look lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful pictures! Your pannacotta looks wonderful. I enjoyed your conspiracy theory story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe and such a pretty dainty dessert! The sun may not shine to often in your neck of the woods but you always seem to bring the sunshine about with your fabulous recipes and stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! This post made me laugh :D And your pannacotta… panna Coooota …. PAN a COTTA :D looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol! I have experienced the same conspiracy. I spent several weeks carefully pronouncing some of my favorite dishes in Italy with no success. I did end up discovering a whole list of other wonderful dishes, but there is something to your theory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hester you are incredible! This is truly gorgeous. I've never had pannacotta, and I'm absolutely sure anything I made would not compare to this! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This pannacotta looks fantastic and this way you can make it the way you want .. don't worry about ordering that anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent rendition this looks so good. I cannot wait to see your take on Cornbread I'll bring the pulled pork

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect summer dessert. I did manage to try pannacotta in Venice once and it was good, but nothing tastes as good as something you make yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehehe I love pannacotta, especially in summer! Very unusual combination of flavour (at least for me as I have never tasted rosehip). It sounds and looks great though my friend! Well done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hehehe :) Your post is so funny! I bet your panna cotta is tastier than anything in any of those restaurants! It looks great! I always prefer homemade panna cotta, myself... Lovely post! Can't wait to see your cornbread recipe next :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hester! This is BEAUTIFUL! And it just proves the old adage...if you want something done right...you have to do it yourself! : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was thinking the EXACT same thing as the previous poster (Hi Anne!). If you get down here to Florida - give me a buzz, I'll make y'all some cornbread!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm one of my favorite desserts and I just posted one tonight!! Yours looks divine and so simple so why isn't it everywhere?
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely pannacotta with rosehip and honey, such wonderful delicate flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha! My girlfriend Norma's family was just visiting from Cork and man, I just THOUGHT I could understand folks from Ireland. Mumblers! :) Lovely pannacotta, dear. Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This recipe sounds scrumptious! Wondering where I can get a hold of rosehip cordial though...

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks so good! I love rosehips--amazing! :)

    And if you want genuine cornbread, let me know next time you're in NYC and I'll make you a batch. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Parsley Sage - I can't understand Corkonians either and half my relations are from there! It's a great accent tho.
    @ Divya Yadava - I'll send you a recipe for rosehip cordial once I have tested it - meanwhile you could use Elderflower cordial instead.
    @ Natalie @ Ann @ Mona - When I'm next in NYC, Florida, or Galway I'd be delighted to take you up on your offer of authentic cornbread.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Many moons ago, I was traveling in Ireland with my husband and we were on the Dingle peninsula. The bus driver said something to him, and my husband just looked blank. For the life of him, couldn't understand what the bus driver was asking him. I managed to catch the word "luggage" and realized he was asking if we had any. Sometimes we all speak English, but it's not the SAME English!

    I just made panna cotta too. I have no idea of it's authenticity, it was out of a Williams-Sonoma Desert book! Yours does look good, though. Love the rosehips and honey for flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post, great pannacotta recipe. I think that once you “recreate” the dish you wanted to have, it will taste a 100 times better then elsewhere. And if not then there are plenty of bloggers who can give you a hand =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nicely done!
    I love panna cotta, but have never made my own at home. It's the perfect restaurant dessert (that's gluten-free) that I don't see often enough on menus.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rosehip presented in such a lovely grownup way :-) not that I had it in a dummy! but was given a large tbsp for a vitamin C boost now and then, time I moved on (-:

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh my gosh, this is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOL! You are always such a great story teller and your Pannacotta looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just came back to say congrats on your Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on top 9! Your panna cotta looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You're definitely saying it correctly but perhaps next time, if in doubt, write "Pannacotta" clearly on the nearest napkin and hold it up to the waiter. Alternatively show them a photo of your amazing version.I absolutely love the flavour pairing of your pannacotta.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've never tried pannacotta either -- and I think there are so many versions of cornbread, it's hard to say what is "authentic." (Same with Irish soda bread?) But the pannacotta is beautiful; and good to see you on the Top 9. Well-deserved -- you have a beautiful blog that's great to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have to say that is absolutely, without doubt, the most delicious pannacotta I've ever tasted! You have wonderful recipes, Hester. Where can I get your cook book?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well written and interesting reading as always. You seem to have secured a permanent spot on the Foodbuzz top 9 - you have the midas touch!

    ReplyDelete
  34. My first pannacotta attempt was a complete disaster...cornbread on the other hand, come over anytime! Your recipe came out gorgeous! And that rosehip and honey dressing- wow Hester, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This looks so fun and delicious, Hester! Congrats on a very well deserved Top 9!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. On a note for the cornbread - it depends on where your from in America on how it should taste. Perhaps that's where people are getting confused. It's a much sweeter bread in the north than the south - almost completely different in flavor in my opinion. Though, Im not sure why anyone would ever tell you the kitchens out! Cornbread goes with everything.

    Now - on to your actual recipe - I've never had pannacotta but I love the honey and rosehip idea for a topping. It sounds beautiful and looks pretty darned perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh boy…this looks so very yummy, Hester... definitely want to go to my kitchen and make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Though I haven't tried rosehip, I can imagine how good your pannacotta is just by looking at the picture! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Like it. Being of Italian origin I've never had the same experience with panna cotta but I know what you mean. You can do so much with it, rose hip and honey is very original. I've had it with rose water and frosted rose petals.

    ReplyDelete
  40. That does look lovely, Hester, and congrats on your top 9 place - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a beautiful pannacotta with rosehip and honey, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  42. This looks so pretty! I just love floral desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've always loved the idea of cooking with rosehips but have never been able to find them. Where did you get your cordial?

    ReplyDelete
  44. LoL!

    I know what you mean.
    For the States I would suggest you go to the south, go to a whole in the wall small restaurant and ask for cornbread.
    Or go to Paula Deen's in New Orleans.

    For the Panna Cotta..... come to Fredericton NB Canada and go to Brewbaker's or just come over to see me and we'll make one together.
    I just picked up a silicon pan for individual servings in wonderful shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a gorgeous dessert. I love pannacotta but mine have never looked as good as yours on a plate. :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!