Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Sweetcorn and Feta Pies – Accidentally Vegetarian

Pin It
I am becoming an accidental vegetarian. While I cannot see myself giving up steak or bacon completely, there are so many meatless meals to be discovered. For me, a successful vegetarian dish is when I eat something that is so delicious that I don’t notice the absence of meat. My beloved doesn’t believe a meal is complete without some form of animal on the plate, so finding meatless meals that satisfy a carnivorous household is a challenge.
Sweetcorn and Feta Pies - accidentally vegetarian!

With the garden in full production at the moment, there are herbs aplenty and a forest of salad leaves, helping me to meet the meatless task half-way. Fresh mint and flat-leaved parsley are the flavours that lift these pies out of the ordinary.

Make sure there's enough mint left for the cook's Mojito!

Delicious hot or cold, they are a great way of sneaking vegetables past the kids, or making a chic, recession-proof office lunch. Easy to make and easy to eat, preparation time is about 5 minutes, cooking time about 25 minutes, eating time about 30 seconds flat!
For 4 pies you will need...
... to pre-heat the oven to 190°C

2 sheets of all butter ready-rolled puff pastry, thawed
100g tinned sweetcorn kernels
100g feta cheese, roughly mashed
50g fresh spinach, washed, dried and finely shredded
4 spring onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh mint
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaved parsley
1 egg, beaten

1                    Cut each pastry sheet in half then trim to a square of approximately 14cm (use the trimmings to cut out fancy shapes to decorate if you like – kids love this bit.)
2                    Mix together the rest of the ingredients, reserving about 1 tablespoon of the beaten egg.
3                    Divide the mixture between the four squares making a sausage shape in the centre of each and leaving a margin of about 1cm at each end of the sausage shape. Brush the edges with a little cold water. Fold the narrow ends in, then fold the wider edges over the top of the mixture to make a neat parcel.
4                    Place each pastry parcel on a non-stick baking sheet, so that the join is underneath. Brush with beaten egg to give the pies a lovely glaze. If decorating with pastry shapes, pop these on top now and brush with egg.
5                    Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown and serve hot or cold, with or without salad.

I herbs!

Tip: Make tiny versions as canapés and serve with a minty Mojito.
Pin It

30 comments:

  1. These pies are just beautiful! No doubt they taste as amazing as they look...great job bringing out the best in vegetarian dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - can't give up meat totally, but sure do enjoying exploring vegetarian. There is so much out there - like these wonderful pies! Looks and sounds marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Accidental or not, I love your vegetarian recipes! I've never made little pies like this before but your ingredients make me really, really want to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it's not that hard to eat more vegetarian meals at this time of year... the produce is just so beautiful, it's impossible not to make it the star of the meal!
    Love the combination of sweet corn and feta in these pies. Definitely delicious enough that I wouldn't miss meat at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a bit more "accidental vegetarian" this time of year too. So many fresh veggies popping up and they take over my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The name of this post got my attention, now your picture and description really has sold me. I would love to have a bite of that lovely pie. Bookmarked this recipe-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you decorated the pies with little hearts! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and I usually have 2-3 meatless meals, we don't mind it at all but we are like you - don't see ourselves giving up meat altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That crust is flaky goodness and the filling sounds delicious! I love anything with feta, spinach and onions. Yum! Sounds like a wonderful vegetarian meal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. those look and sound amazing...my bf is a vegetarian *and* a feta-lover. i'll definitely be making these soon. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So true! It is hard to satisfy non vegetarians with vegetarian meals and I think this recipe can actually do that! I love all veggies, so I am bookmarking this. I love the idea of serving them as canapes with a Mojito (or 2)!!! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me at puff pastry! And I love that these pies are vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look so gorgeous! I always love puff pastry, but I really love how you brightened the mix up with fresh mint. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is my kind of pie!! thank you for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look and sound delicious.

    My nephew (5) was eating a corn on the cob yesterday, he asked me if the core/center could be called "the bone" I said that it could - then he asked me what type of an animal the corn had been!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such delicious pies - an awesome combination with corn and feta and mint & parsley!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cuto! Can I pick off the little hearts and eat them first? I'm in the same sitch as you. Until a few months ago, I didn't eat veggies really and now I'm finding myself going a few days without MEAT! As an Italian, I of course can't share that little tidbit with my mother...she'd disown me :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad there's someone else out there that appreciates (and is in love with) mojitos as much as I am. Adorable little hand pies, love the heart design!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous pies Hester! I imagine they are a little bit sweet and a little bit savory. You are right...when something tastes that good...you don't notice the absence of meat! What a perfect pie! : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning, Hester! And full of such yumminess! Congrats on the Top 9...well deserved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a delightful combination of flavors and textures! Well done! I have exactly the same dilemma in my house about vegetarian dishes. Mr. Rosemary will compliment something meatless but then ask, "Where's the meat?" And I heart herbs, too. Congratulations on Top 9 -- you go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness. This would make a great Lenten recipe. I love pies too. I bookmarked this to make later. Another winner Hester!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your pies look spectacular! I love vegetarian meals and treats even though I'm not a vegetarian. My carnivore hubby would also love these. Congrats on the Foodbuzz top 9:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooooh I just want to bite into that pie! This looks sensational!

    Congrats on top 9!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is beautiful. I'm looing for amazing things I can pack in my lunch, and I think this fits the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The color on these pies is fantastic. Nicely browned and so flaky looking! Add feta and spinach to any dish and I'm happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are lovely pockets of flavor that even a die-hard carnivore like myself can appreciate! Nice reminder to save some mint for the mojitos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I feel EXACTLY same way about becoming accidentally vegetarian. I enjoy veggies and do think I would be happy with less meat already (besides my favorite meat dish, like ribs!). My husband must have meat or seafood on the table... This pie looks soo good! I can already imagine the taste and my mouth started watering. What a nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My kids will love this, easy and a nice sharp/sweet mix from the corn and feta. Like it.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!