Thursday, December 29, 2011

Omelette with Croutons – unsophisticated, but unashamedly delicious!

Pin It
What an egg-citing omelette!


We had a magically multiplying turkey this Christmas. It fed 19 people and there was still some left. It made sandwiches and delicious turkey soup and there was still some left. Great slices of it were wrapped and given away and there was still some left. Much as I love turkey, there comes a point when it’s enough already!

After all the rich food of Christmas, anyone who makes me the simple treat of a fried egg sandwich gets huge brownie points. It must be on squishy white bread – and lightly cooked so that, when cut, the yolk oozes out and soaks into the bread – sigh…

Another unsophisticated egg/bread combination that I love is this omelette stuffed with croutons. Plain or cheesy, I love both versions.

For an omelette to feed one, you will need…

Croutons
1 slice bread, crusts removed, cut into 1cm cubes
25g butter, melted

For the cheesy version, you’ll need
25g Gruyere, grated or 25g blue cheese, crumbled
¼ teaspoon fresh thyme

Preheat the oven to 160˚C
1.                  To make the croutons, toss the bread cubes in the melted butter. If making the cheesy version, add the cheese and thyme, turning the bread cubes until coated in the mixture. Spread the cubes out on a shallow baking tray and bake in the preheated oven until golden – about 10 minutes. Turn the oven down to 80˚C to keep them warm while you make the omelette.

Omelette
2 fresh eggs
a pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper

25g butter

Have a warm plate ready as the omelette takes only a minute to cook and it’s a major culinary sin to put an omelette onto a cold plate.

2.                  Melt the butter in a small frying pan over a medium/high heat.
3.                  While the butter is melting, break the eggs into a bowl, add a little salt and pepper, and whisk lightly with a fork until the yolk is just combined with the white of the egg.
4.                  When the butter is melted and the pan is hot, pour in the egg mixture and let it spread across the base of the pan. Shake the pan back and forth over the heat so that the egg doesn’t stick and burn. When the egg has mostly set and the surface of the omelette is creamy, sprinkle the hot croutons down the centre of the omelette in a line covering roughly about 1/3 of the surface.
5.                  Using a spatula or fish slice, gently fold 1/3 of the omelette over the croutons, as if you were starting to fold a letter. Then tilt the pan so that the unfolded portion of the omelette slides onto the heated plate. Gently roll the rest of the omelette head-over-heels onto the plate to cover the unfolded portion, enclosing the filling completely.

Unashamedly unsophisticated (but utterly delicious!)

Eat immediately with a green salad while you wonder what to do with the rest of the never-ending turkey.

Mmmmmmmmmmm!

Speaking of which, any turkey tips?
Pin It

21 comments:

  1. I have never had an omelette with croutons in it and I am very intrigued. This may have to be Saturday morning breakfast in our house this weekend. I might have to combine the two though...its almost impossible to have an omelette without gobs of cheese. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of those toasty croutons inside-yum! Yes, I am also ready for the non fancy and less rich food. An omelette is something that fits the situation. Luckily I have no leftovers since my celebration was in Houston at my brother's house-he has them! Enjoy ringing in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't complain that this was unsophisticated if someone placed it in front of me--it looks delicious! I think I'd have to have the blue cheese croutons, though, just because I have a major cheese addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! We had egg sandwiches last night! They were great, but not as great as I imagine this omelet would be. Although we ate a lot of turkey (and ham) there's a leftover pork roast and more turkey in the freezer. Later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fried egg sandwich is my all time favourite comfort food. I love it really salty. This is such a great idea to put croutons in an omelette!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omelette filled with bread? That is unique! All buttery and comforting.. oh, and try turkey lasagne (there's one on my blog 26/12/09). Use the cooked turkey in the ragu, turkey stock to poach the pasta and freeze it so you can eat it when you actually feel like turkey again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never thought about putting croutons in an omelette, kind of like having your toast inside! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hester...this is perfect. I find there is sophistication in simplicity, actually. And this is something I'd love to have as dinner after a hectic day. But your fried egg sandwich on squishy yolk sogged white bread has me smiling bigtime! Happy New Year Hester! I've enjoyed your friendship over the past months and look forward to continuing it in the new year! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehee - it sounds like the ever-flowing porridge pot! 19 for Xmas? Chapeau, my friend. Glad the turkey finally saw its last sandwich and boy, agree with you about the simple egg squishing out like that on bread.

    Hester, have a wonderful New Year this weekend - lots of fun, and cheers to you and a wonderful 2012, my friend! P.S. Love your new photo on the website - pretty lass!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness. It's like an inside out bread pudding... wait, is it? IN any case it's amazing! Sometimes the most casual food is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! I always need bread with my eggs, but I never thought to put it in the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The omelette looks lovely and I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of simple food after all the indulgences of Christmas :-) We've never tried croutons in an omelette before, so now I'm intrigued - must try this soon!
    Hope you have a fabulous New Year, Hester - Jerry and I look forward to reading more about your delectable culinary creations in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love, love it! I am a huge fan of extra crispy (not burnt) toast. The idea of croutons sounds perfect for someone like me! Thanks for sharing! After all the indulgences of the holidays, this is just right!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmmm...I love a good omelette, and this one looks fantastic. I'd definitely add cheese :) Happy New Year, my friend...congrats on the last Top 9 of 2011!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Croutons in an omelette, wow that is so fun! Glad you managed to get through the turkey :)
    Happy New Year Hester!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omelettes with croutons sound so cool! I bet the crunch is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Croutons in omelette! I have to try this. I love crunchy texture so I know I'll love this! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is unusual but it sounds delicious. I am new to your blog so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that.I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!