Friday, February 3, 2012

Pear, Apple and Muesli Crumble – how to banish Winter!

Pin It

You’ll probably remember a time when, as a child, you ate an ice cream too fast and your mouth froze and the cold sensation spread to give you an almighty headache. If a city could have that sensation, my home town would have it now. Brrrrrr! There is only one remedy. This place needs crumble. Now!
For 4 servings you will need...
... to pre-heat the oven to 170°C
Crumble mix
100g plain flour
75g butter, cut into small cubes
¼ teaspoon fine table salt
65g caster sugar (or brown sugar)
1 teaspoon grated orange zest (I used mandarin)
100g of your favourite unsweetened muesli

1                    Place the flour and butter in a mixing bowl and rub the butter into the flour, lifting and crumbling the mixture between your index and middle fingers and your thumbs, until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. There’ll be some larger pea-sized lumps but don’t worry. These help make for a good texture in the crumble.
2                    Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. You can pop the mixture into the freezer at this stage for later use if you wish.

Magic ingredient: Don't forget a touch of salt to bring out the sweetness

Filling
200g apple, sliced or chopped
200g of hard pears (such as Conference)
35g sugar or honey
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)

3                    Mix together the filling ingredients and transfer to a square pie dish approximately 21cm x 21cm (8½” x 8½”) and 6cm (2½”) deep. Alternatively, I’ve used 4 individual round pie dishes 11cm (4½”)  diameter and 4.5cm (about 2”) deep.
4                    Cover the fruit mixture with a layer of crumble approximately 1cm thick (½ inch), patting it into place but taking care not to pack it too tightly. Transfer to the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 – 40 mins or until golden brown. Serve with custard or cream and a big fat warm smile because Winter has been banished – from the table at least!
Later that evening...

Variations: Crumble is a great dish to reflect the seasons – rhubarb and strawberry in late Spring, cherry in the Summer, and apple, pear, and blackberry in the Autumn. Vary the flavouring in both the topping and the filling – almond extract is good with a cherry filling, clove loves apple. It’s a dish to be played with and experimented with.
Pin It

33 comments:

  1. It looks delicious Hester...I like the empty bowl best...shows how great it was! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very tempting looking -- would warm me right up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crumbles do make for an awesome comfort dish and I like the fruits you brought together here. I am sure that if we all tasted this our bowls would become empty very fast-delicious post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this looks really warm and inviting - its rainy and miserable right now so perhaps this is exactly what I need - plus it has muesli = healthy = eat more ;)
    Awesome recipe and fantastic blog!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Grilled Hot Fudge Sauce Nutella Sandwich

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is right up my alley! The picture is making me drool...what a yummy recipe! Have a great weekend...
    http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love a fruit crumble...especially with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream! Pears and apples sound like a delicious combination...especially with that amazing topping! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hester, I couldn't agree more with you. I ended up making a crumble last night as our temps drooped to -9°C in Paris. How come I went south from Scotland and it's still blooming cold? You've certainly warmed our hearts with this one. No wonder this dish is empty! Keep warm this weekend. J xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look so good--and I love your little baking dishes. Individual crumbles are the perfect winter dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love apple crumbles, and what a smart twist to use muesli instead of plain oats! :) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That cold huh? I am sure this tastes fabulous in the cold... It never gets that cold where I live, but I would still eat this gladly... even in the heat! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Hester....what a beautiful crumble! I would love to warm up with this first thing in the morning. I especially love the combo of fruits! This looks so comforting! I feel guilty...we've had springtime temperatures in February here in D.C.! But I'm thinking of you! So stay warm my friend! Lovely post! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, perpetual brainfreeze? You need a Caribbean holiday! I suppose this fantastic crumble is a suitable alternative :) Looks devine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Banish it to this part of the world ... pleeeeeeez! And I mean the winter AND this lovely crumble. Crumbles are great for all sorts of combinations and healthy too, unless of course when I start pouring cream over mine :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great way to knock winter out! I love a good crumble and apples and pears are some of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a big fan of desserts, but there's one I can't turn down and that's a good crumble!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now that is some serious comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good old fashioned comfort food... perfect for a wintry day - thank you so much for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Winter never came! But I still want to make this crumble to make sure it doesn't come next year either! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this! Your crumble is totally perfect for chilly winter weather. Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks so good....a crumble always melts my heart and this would cheer me up on a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Apples and pears pair so well together and what a great recipe! I love that you used Muesli such a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 'Brain freeze' we call that in this madhouse. Can just imagine how the crumble kills it (is that a good thing?) Great post and lush pics as always Hester! A.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The recipe is just perfect. Bookmarked for sure!
    http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks amazing and my town needs twice as much with those windy rains... I don't have anything to do it in, wonder would it work in a muffins tray with muffin paper? What kind of consistency is it? Wishing you all the best... and once again yum.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Hester,
    Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy your blog so much that I've nominated you for the Liebster award. It is for up and coming bloggers with less than 200 followers. Congrats! You can check it out on my blog here: http://theirishmother.blogspot.com/2012/02/granola-bars-and-award.html Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, I adore pear & apple.. this crumble is divine!
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. This crumble with pear & apple sounds amazing, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love those dishes. If they are relatively small anyway. I love them. They keep me from looking like a tub of lard. :)

    Nothing better than a crumble any day of the week, winter or summer. It's true comfort food.

    I just love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi there,

    I want to eat almost everything you cook :) Head on over to my blog where there's a Liebster Award waiting for you!

    http://hungrycouplenyc.blogspot.com/2012/02/ive-been-liebstered.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. With all of those yummy fruits and the comforting top, that dessert is sure to warm you up! With all of the great vitamins, you will be heading off any winter colds, too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It’s those toffee crunchy bits around the edges I love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. OMG! This is so just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love crumble! I'm glad I found your blog I'm a follower now : )

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!