Saturday, July 14, 2012

Mushrooms on Toast or Funghi Alla Veronica – what’s in a name?

Pin It

"What's in a name? That which we call a mushroom
By any other name would taste as good."
Dear Mr Shakespeare,
Apologies for misquoting your lovely line from Romeo and Juliet but it was an emergency. You see, I just wanted a quick and lazy supper but the lovely rustic artisan bread I bought down the farmers market screamed DON’T so much as THINK about putting a baked bean NEAR me, sunshine!
It got me thinking about a supper dish my mother, Veronica, used to make my father when he came in from gigs late at night. Would this posh bread entertain the idea of being toasted and adorned with a simple mushroom sauce? Probably not... and then I thought of your beautiful “rose by any other name” line.
What if I called it Salsa Di Funghi Alla Veronica (loosely based on Funghi Alla Veronese)?
Mr Shakespeare, you are a genius! You can come to supper any time. 
For a quick and lazy supper for 2 you will need...
25g butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion (about the side of a tennis ball), finely chopped
1 fat clove of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leafed parsley
½ teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tablespoon plain flour
250g mushrooms (your choice but something with a bit of flavour), sliced
100mls double cream or crème fraîche
60mls good quality stock
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 
2 slices of good quality bread (toasted just before serving) 
Flat-leafed parsley or basil to garnish 
Simple ingredients, magical mushrooms!
1                    In a medium frying pan over a medium heat, melt the butter and add the olive oil. Add the chopped onion and fry gently until just beginning to turn golden – about 6–8 minutes. Add the crushed garlic, parsley and thyme and cook for a further minute.
2                    Now, sprinkle the flour into the frying pan and stir until it is well mixed with the onions. Add the mushrooms and cook gently for about 5 minutes, gently stirring the contents of the pan occasionally.
3                    Add the cream or crème fraîche and stir into the mushroom mixture before adding the stock. Let the mixture bubble for a minute or two. The mixture should be creamy without being liquid. If there is liquid in the pan continue to let it bubble until the liquid has evaporated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4                    Serve immediately on toast and garnish with fresh parsley or basil – whichever you prefer.
Pin It

15 comments:

  1. This looks so GOOD! Bet the mushrooms would be fantastic served with pasta too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Angie - yes, it's good with pasta and as a sauce with roast chicken and pork chops

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I may have to tweak this a little for gluten-free, chestnut flour might be very nice, for the steak planned for tonight

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Deirdre - for GF you could leave out the flour altogether and just simmer the sauce until thick. Sounds delish with steak though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this because it's very versatile dish. I probably can't put it on a bread as my kids can easily drop the delicious part before they take a bite (LOL but it will happen), but I can put it on pasta and that would be very lovely sauce! We love mushrooms and I can almost smell this all the way here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds so decadently wonderful! A dream breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll meet Will and we'll arrive together for some of this toast, okay?

    Gosh it looks good. This is my kind of simple supper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE mushroom toast! It's one of my go to soup dippers - great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mushrooms any ol' which way. Could I have this breakfast? (Of course I can!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Proper Mediterranean comfort food for late a night snack! Nice one Hester! A.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the creaminess of the sauce and the mushroom is really making me ehem. . . drool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My father would love this, he adores mushrooms :D
    Thank you!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great recipe, one just has to eat it and have a great glass of wine with it, great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can I just say that I want this? For lunch, or just a snack. Either way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. For a super quick dinner, this sure looks elegant. I love your photos! Not to mention that this dish sounds absolutely delicious. :D

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!