Thursday, December 19, 2013

Good Elf – a hot cocktail to help Santa on his way

Pin It


To: Santa Claus
c/o The North Pole

Dear Santa,
Long after I stopped believing in you - and no matter how naughty I’d been - I’d wake up on Christmas morning, to find a treat-filled stocking with a Mandarin or a Satsuma hiding in the toe. I must either have (accidentally) notched up a few brownie points during the year or perhaps you continued to believe in me.
On Christmas morning the scents of orange, the log fire, and pine from the Christmas tree would intermingle to form a signature Christmas scent as I and my siblings opened our gifts, swapped our gifts, fought over our gifts, broke our gifts, and played with the packaging.
Dear Santa, I do try to be good... but I deserve to be on your naughty list this year. I made you some cupcakes in case you got a little peckish on your way around the world. However 48 fondant eyeballs, 12 fondant moustaches, 12 fondant noses, 12 fondant carrots and 24 woolly fondant bobbles later, I’m afraid all that sugar got the better of me, and  I ate your share. (Burp!)
48 eyeballs, 12 moustaches, 12 noses, 12 carrots, 24 woolly bobbles, 1 tantrum, and 1 Good Elf later...
Dear Santa, I happen to know you are partial to orange liqueur so I have created this cocktail as a little Thank You. It's an excellent and warming alternative to mulled wine, but don’t take too long in getting here though. It smells rather tempting... (Hic!)


Dear Santa, if you like this little tipple and want to recreate it at home then you will need...
Coriander simple syrup
100g runny honey (or sugar)
100ml water
3 tablespoons coriander seed, roughly crushed 

Place the honey (or sugar) and water in a small saucepan and bring to the simmering until the honey (or sugar) is completely dissolved in the water. Now add the crushed coriander seed and leave to steep overnight. Strain to remove the seeds and keep in a screw top jar or bottle. (This will keep for at least a month in the fridge). 

Santa’s Little Helper
40mls Cointreau (or other triple sec-style orange liqueur)
1 – 2 teaspoons coriander simple syrup (see recipe above)
80mls fresh Mandarin or Satsuma juice
80mls fresh water
1 slice of orange stuck with 5 cloves 

In a tall (preferably heat proof*) glass, mix the Cointreau and the simple syrup. Put the orange juice and water in a small saucepan and bring to simmering. Add to the glass and float the slice of orange with cloves on top. 

*Santa, if your glass is not heat proof, place a metal spoon in the glass before adding the hot liquid. 

Your Good Health (or Good Elf!) and a Merry Christmas!
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure that after Santa has a sip of this wonderful drink there will be no more naughty list for you, Missy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are a good elf, Hester. This cocktail looks wonderful. Gosh, long time since I've heard the word, satsuma. Loved that in the toes!

    Cheers to your good health, Hester and have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute post! I love this hot cocktail. Can't wait to try it. xoxo, Meeeerrry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you say coriander simple syrup?!!?!?? I want this on EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tiffany, yes, my new store cupboard essential. I can see a coriander drizzle cake in my near future. This stuff is addictive.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!