Thursday, January 16, 2014

Toasted Walnut & Parsley Pesto – magic !

Pin It
After the excesses of Christmas, I have a voracious craving for healthy green stuff. Even cabbage is beginning to look attractive – as long as it is cooked al dente and tossed in a little Toasted Walnut and Parsley Pesto.



Add a little of this magic green sauce to pasta or chicken, tatties or toast, and - hey pesto! – suddenly January has a little more colour!

For approximately 250mls of pesto, you will need...
1 small clove of garlic, crushed
¼ teaspoon sea salt
50g walnuts, lightly toasted
50g flat-leaf parsley
30g Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
12 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 

Place everything, except the olive oil, in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped. Add the olive oil and pulse until the oil is combined with the other ingredients.

Spoon into a sterilised jar and drizzle over a little more olive oil to help exclude the air and keep the sauce fresh. This will keep in the fridge for a week or so.
Watch me make this disappear - hey pesto !
Pin It

12 comments:

  1. I love a good pesto, definitely love this recipe! Great job :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cabbage but had never thought of adding pesto to it. That would make it amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Hester! This would not last in my fridge for a week because it wouldn't make it to the fridge! I'm not sure it would even make it into a cute little jar! This looks luscious...and a perfect way to get my greens! I'm going to try this with chicken and pasta this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pesto, especially during the summer. It's hot and it's perfect on a piece of bread . Yours looks like it should be sitting in MY fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this healthy pesto! I never make pesto of any kind. Clearly I'm missing out. This is much more affordable than the pine nut version too. Have a good weekend Hester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can never have too many pesto recipes and I am happy to add this to my collection - it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous pesto! I'd love it on cabbage, too! And I sure wish I was the recipient of that cute jar :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm homemade pesto! Love using fresh pesto in simple spaghetti or pasta. My kids love it. You inspired me to make again, and this time I will try your recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely pesto sauce...
    Never try once with parsley, i guess this would be lovely for baked white fish fillet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What do you mean, even cabbage? I ADORE cabbage!!!!!!!!!!!! And pesto... especially when it has walnuts in it! Hugs chica!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Hester, sorry I am so very late with commenting but I only just returned home this week. I love pesto and I really like the sound and look of your lovely green pesto recipe (I can see that you used Pecorino Romano - my favorite kind of hearty cheese in pesto). This would be good for lunch today with a bit of pasta.
    Hope you are well, have a nice Sunday!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's nothing better than homemade pesto and this one looks so bright and tasty! Just wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!