Monday, October 12, 2015

Spiced Apple and Almond Cobbler – Tempting!

Pin It

"Autumn is the mellower season, and what we lose in flowers we more than gain in fruits."

-Samuel Butler

Mmmm, I do love Autumn. It is the season when some of my favourite fruits are at their best: plums and damsons, blackberries, apples – all delicious in a pie, or its even easier, lazier cousin, the cobbler. Today, I’ve gone for spiced apple and almond version.
You’ll notice the slightly unusual ‘cake tin’ I’ve used – a 24cm frying pan. If you don’t have an ovenproof non-stick frying pan, you can cook the filling in a regular non-stick frying pan then turn it into a lightly buttered baking dish of similar proportions and spoon the almond batter on top. 
Anyway, first to the recipe…


To conjure up a delicious Autumnal cobbler for 8 you will need…
For the filling
750g apples, prepared weight (peeled, cored and each cut into 8 wedges) Drop the prepared apple wedges into a bowl of cold water with a little lemon juice added, until ready to use. This stops them going brown.
30g butter
50g Demerara sugar, or brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 whole cloves, ground to a powder using a pestle and mortar (or your imagination)
1½ teaspoons cornflour
a little cold water

For the Topping
150g plain flour
100g butter, cubed
75g ground almonds
50g Demerara sugar, or brown sugar
2½ teaspoons baking powder
½  teaspoon almond extract
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
a pinch of salt
175mls milk

2 tablespoons slivered almonds

icing sugar to dust


First prepare the filling: Melt the butter over a medium heat in a non-stick frying pan suitable for use both on the hob and in the oven, and large enough to contain all the apples.
Dry the apples in a clean tea towel and add to the pan. Cook gently for about 6 minutes, turning occasionally, until beginning to soften. Add the sugar, cinnamon, and cloves and continue cooking until the sugar has melted and all the apples are coated with the mixture.
Mix the cornflour with just enough water to make a runny paste. Stir this into the apple mixture until any juices that have escaped into the pan have thickened up. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside while you make the topping.
Sugar and spice and all things nice...

For the Almond Batter you will need…
… to pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
Put the batter ingredients - except the milk, slivered almonds and icing sugar -into a food processor and pulse until combined into a crumbly mixture like fine breadcrumbs. (If you don’t have a food processor, place the flour and butter in a large bowl. Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix until just combined.)
Add the milk and pulse (or mix) until it comes together into a thick but smooth mixture.
Dollop large spoonfuls of batter onto the surface of the apple mixture. Sprinkle evenly with the slivered almonds, and place in the pre-heated oven. Bake for about 25 minutes or until risen and golden brown.
Remove from the oven and dust with a little icing sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature with good vanilla ice cream.
Dolloping...

Come and get it!

Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Such a perfect Fall dessert! Those spiced apple would be great for some hand pies too.
    And thanks for this lovely giveaway, Hester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love is kicking up the piles of dry fallen crispy leaves, makes me feel oh so youthful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely digging this fall inspired dessert! Great job :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cobbler is perfect with a cup of hot tea especially in a milder fall weather. Just sit by the window and enjoy. That is a nice giveaway, Hester. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the fall desserts. I could have them all year round!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can just imagine the divine smell of this cobbler. Count me in on the giveaway....thanks so much for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I most love about fall is the crisp air, the changing colors and lots of apples on my apple tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Angie's idea of hand pies, too. Somehow, I think that food you eat with your hands is less fattening! Apples, in any form, are always good. I love fall, my favorite season, even knowing what's coming. Winters in Ireland are milder than here, aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The apple harvest each fall is my favorite time of year! There are so many heirloom varieties to enjoy! Although apple pie is a favorite, I very much love having a crisp apple for my afternoon snack.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know what it is about apple cobblers and crisps but I cannot resist. I'm almost ashamed of myself so when I make one now, I instantly cut two portions out and give the rest away. I'm not to be trusted. My grandmother used to make it for me and it brings back great memories. You'd have to tie my hands behind my back for this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!