Tuesday, June 23, 2020

White Chocolate and Cherry Clafoutis - Simply Irresistible !

Pin It

The poet, Paul Valéry, said that a poem is never finished, only abandoned. I have that same feeling about recipes. From time to time, I can’t resist making just a tiny edit or two to an old favourite, on the hunch that it will make the dish even better.
Simply irresistible
I have revisited the first dish I ever did on Alchemy in the Kitchen - Cherry Clafoutis - and I’ve made a few edits. One was the addition of chunks of good white chocolate - for me, the missing link in the evolution of clafoutis

I have also come down firmly on the side of de-stoned cherries for a number of reasons:

       multiple taste tests don’t reveal the almond flavour that the stones are supposed to impart (a touch of almond extract does it better!)

       de-stoned cherries leak their juice into the batter and even more juice evaporates, leaving a concentrated cherry flavour

       there is less risk of a tooth-shattering surprise.

Hungry caterpillar? No, cherry-stoner!

Unfortunately I had to buy the cherries for today’s clafoutis rather than being presented with a strange and marvellous bouquet as before.  

Life is ...
As I needed a decent amount of natural light for the photos, I made the dish this morning. Although I’m not in the habit of having dessert for breakfast, clafoutis is best eaten warm from the oven, so I had no option but to sample it there and then (good excuse eh?) and I have decided it wouldn’t be out of place at a special brunch.

For 4 servings you will need......to preheat the oven to 170°C
A little butter for greasing 4 shallow ramekin dishes

50g ground almonds
25g plain flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
a  pinch of fine table salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
50g runny honey
150mls fresh whole milk
½ teaspoon almond extract

300g ripe fresh cherries, stones removed (I prefer to leave the stalks on for presentation but take them off if you prefer).

75g good quality white chocolate, cut into 1cm chunks

Method
With the butter, lightly rub the inside of the ramekin dishes and set aside.

Measure the ground almonds and flour into a mixing bowl and add the baking powder and salt. Add the eggs and whisk to a smooth batter. Add the honey (I weigh it directly into the bowl to save on washing up) and whisk until combined. Finally whisk in the milk and almond extract to give a consistency similar to single cream.

Divide the batter evenly between 4 shallow ramekin dishes, making sure not to fill beyond the half-way mark, then divide the cherries and chocolate chunks evenly between the 4 dishes.

One for me, one for the clafoutis, one for me...

Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes or until risen and golden brown.

Allow to cool slightly before dusting with icing sugar and serving with a jug of pouring cream. Mmmmm-mmmm-mmmmmmmmmm.



Note: Clafoutis sinks slightly as it cools – that’s just its nature
Note: Clafoutis vanishes quickly when cooked - that's just in its nature ...


Pin It

7 comments:

  1. How could you walk away just eating one dish? Whenever I baked clafoutis, I ended up eating too much!! Yours looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you've caught me, Angie. I had one clafoutis for breakfast, and another after dinner ��

      Delete
  2. I don't care. I'll have this for breakfast, Hester. Mmm, delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are always gorgeous! I've made clafoutis once and it wasn't inspiring, to say the least. You version with sweet cherries that won't crack my teeth (ha!) and white chocolate is definitely more impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be happy to be right there with you sharing some of the delicious sounding clafoutis for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh crikey, they look amazing Hester.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adoro su receta un postre maravilloso espero pronto lleguen las cerezas a mis manos,gracias por su comentario,abrazos

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!