Friday, August 26, 2011

Bramley Brulée – So Tempting, It’s Criminal

Pin It
I am not one to hold a grudge. I believe in forgive and forget... let bygones be bygones... bury the hatchet... kiss and make up. 

There is just one crime that I have been unable to pardon. Tears still well up (sniff) when I recall that dreadful moment.

The innocent victim...

I had organised a Christmas party for a group of friends and made sure that my favourite dessert was included on the menu. Mmmmm Crème Brulée... sigh! I had been dreaming about the moment when the spoon would shatter the caramelised sugar crust sending splinters of sweetness into the creamy custard. The starter and main course – delicious though they were – were merely a prelude to this delight.
As the empty plates were cleared away for the next course, I did a quick tour of the room to make sure all the guests were in good spirits. As dessert was being dished up, I made my way back to my table. Oh such sweet anticipation.
Aaaaaaaaarrrrggh! It took mere moments for the crime to be committed. There, in my place, was an EMPTY, licked-clean dish, with the merest trace of burnt sugar still clinging to the sides. “Ooops, I thought it was a spare,” said the heartless thief my dining companion who must have inhaled the dessert so quickly did it vanish, “let's order you another one.”

We're obviously not Bramleys... but we are a windfall!

His crime was not to be erased that easily. The caterers had been exact and there was (sniff) no more (sob) Crème Brulée (wail). While I have tried to find it in my heart to forgive this dessert-stealing fiend good friend, I know I will never forget...
Here’s my prize-winning Crème Brulée with Bramley apple compote. I used Bramleys because at the time I wrote this recipe, it was the 200th anniversary of the variety. You could use any sweet/sharp apple. Just don't leave your dessert unattended!
For 6 servings you will need...
... to pre-heat the oven to 140°C (when you have finished making the compote)

Apple compote
2 large Bramley apples, peeled and cut into small cubes
zest of 1 large lemon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon runny honey

Crème brulée
6 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
500mls double cream
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Sugar crust
75g caster sugar

1          For the apple compote: First, place all the compote ingredients in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the apple is tender, stirring occasionally. Pour off any excess juice and divide the apple mixture between 6 shallow ramekin dishes. Leave to cool. Place the ramekins in a roasting tray or similar. Now, preheat your oven to 140°C.
2          For the custard: Place the egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl and whisk together until pale yellow in colour. Pour the cream into a medium saucepan, and add the cinnamon. Heat gently to just boiling then - very slowly - pour onto the egg mixture, whisking all the time. Now, divide the mixture between the ramekins. Transfer the ramekins to the oven and carefully pour boiling water into the roasting tray until it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for about 25-30 minutes until the custards are just set. Remove the ramekins from the water and allow cool.
3          Finally, the topping: evenly sprinkle each of the cooled Bramley Brulées with the caster sugar and either place under a very hot grill until the sugar is golden and bubbling, or use a blowtorch to achieve the same effect. Cool before serving, but do not refrigerate.

Variation
Scatter a layer of fresh raspberries in the bottom of each ramekin instead of the apple compote. Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the cream in place of cinnamon.
Pin It

36 comments:

  1. Hester I had a great laugh reading your post and what a delicious crème brulee recipe! No wonder your friend “accidentally” ate it. you have one advantage….You can always make new ones but he/she has to wait till you do =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love creme brulee's. Accidentaly eaten , yeah right :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha-if your friend was around when you made this, I would have made him watch/wait until you finished yours! The brulee looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! Was my hubby dining with you that night???? Thank you for two new delicious versions of creme brulee to try...the apple is perfect for fall~

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a meanie! I would be broken hearted if someone stole my dessert. You're better off making your own, I guess. Then you can have all the creme brulee to yourself : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sincerely hope you disowned this friend completely and never spoke to him again! No one comes between me and my brulee!
    Yummmmmmmeeeeee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Hester! My husband's favorite dessert is creme brulee and I love it as much as he does... I wished that I was this friend....and pretend as if it was "accident". LOL. Such a good story to read on Friday. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How could they? Well, no wonder with that apple compôte, too. Guess double quantity is needed, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right! Whoever it was is a creme brulee thief! A Fiend! I would have knocked whoever it was over the head with the spoon he ate it with!

    The recipe, however, is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how divine - apple brulee! I've never had that combo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would've been heartbroken if someone stole my dessert! I've never had an apple creme brulee before, but I love apples and I love creme brulee, so I think this will make an appearance on my fall menu!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too would harbour a grudge at such an outrageous act of theft and nor do I know if I could find it in my heart to forgive the perpetrator!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have stolen the brulee too, I bet it looked delicious he couldn't resist :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story, a bit sad, but great. It sounds delish! Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What thievery! This recipe looks fantastic though and now you can make a bunch at home and save it all for yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hester...this sounds amazing! I love brulee. But I've never had a sweet little surprise of fruit waiting for me at the finish! All the more reason to quickly break through that fabulous sugary crust! : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love creme brulee and this was definitely a true crime! A crime against humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hester this sounds like such a good creme brulee recipe- especially with that apple compote- love those flavors! Glad you are learning to forgive, I'm not sure I could do the same... :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhhh noooooooooo! Don't you just hate it when people put a fork (or a spoon for that matter) in your plate, uninvited???? Hehhehehe

    Your crème brulee recipe sounds delicious! It is one of my favourite desserts too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. No forgivness for dessert thieves! This crème brulèe looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So creative to pair the lovely, sweet bramley compote with the creamy, decadent brûlée!
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Heavens! People have gone missing for crimes less serious than creme brulee! You are very graceful with your disappointment. Nice story though.. though. I saw the torch and got excited for you only to share your angst.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heavens! People have gone missing for crimes less serious than creme brulee! You are very graceful with your disappointment. Nice story though.. though. I saw the torch and got excited for you only to share your angst.

    ReplyDelete
  24. aghhhh! i'd absolutely hate to be the victim of such a heinous crime. it'd be great to be the perpetrator, though, i can only imagine :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have never heard of using apple compote for a brulee but I love the idea. I'm filing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  26. DEFRIEND! An unforgivable sin in the foodie world! Or at least worth a good 'stink eye.'

    Your Bramley Brulee sounds AMAZING :) I'm sure its much better than that other stuff anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You never fail to delight me! A spare indeed! Stealing a creme brulee is grounds for something severe . . . I'm sure you'll get your just reward.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi There, This is looking absolutely delightful. Loved the new combo of ingredients and the recipe is so nicely made and presented. Saving this recipe of urs and wud love to give ur version a try on the coming weekend. Have a great day….Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your poor dining companion must have felt terrible! Good think you can make your own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ha! That was such a funny story! Your dining companion must have inhaled that creme brulee. Don't they know dessert is sacred??? :) Your version looks divine and I'm sure it tastes much much better!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks so creamy and delicious! And I'm not sure I buy that "accidently eaten" thing. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm trying to guess who that fiend could be. I have a couple of suspicions. I'll get to the bottom of it sooner or later. (Hope I find a sweet treat down there when I do.) Oh, and fiend....watch your back!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh no, not your creme brulee, evil! This is such a great recipe, love the apple addition...scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I say a lot of desserts are my fave, but I think creme brulee is really my all time favorite. I probably only have it twice a year & I'm not big on sharing it! If one of my friends pulled this, I'd have a very hard time getting over it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think I would hold a grudge for a long time if someone ate my crème brulee. That's just sinful.

    I love this combination!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I cant wait to try this!! and hopefully i'll get to eat all of eat!!!

    IT WILL NOT GET STOLEN!!!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!