Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cajun Sausage Sliders with Mozzarella – From the Surreptitious Chef

Pin It We stayed with friends near Bergerac in Dordogne earlier this summer. The sky was a strange blue colour not often seen by Irish people and there was a big golden disc high up in the atmosphere. That’s the Sun, my friends said, seeing my puzzled expression. They explained that it was an object of worship. I was introduced to a ceremony which locals call Le Pique-Nique - a form of Sun worship. Apparently people in Dordogne regularly practice this form of reverence which involves dining al fresco while basking in a warm glow called Sunshine - also unheard of in Ireland.


Cajun Sausage Sliders ... the surprise hit from the Surreptitious Chef!
“Let’s have a gourmet Pique-Nique!” my beloved announced with the zeal of the newly converted. “Everyone must produce a dish.”

“Groan,” said the other men in the party, greeting his suggestion with great enthusiasm.
Recipe for a gourmet Pique-Nique: Great food, great company, perfect location

The menu included prawns and scallops to be cooked on site, bacon-wrapped asparagus, Caprese salad, salty-sweet Parma-wrapped Charantais melon, egg mayo, the obligatory potato salad, plenty of local rosé and a stunning lakeside location. From the man’s man, the bloke’s bloke, the guy’s guy of the party, came a surprise hit – these spicy sausage sliders with a melting cheesy centre.

Sizzle...
I asked this surreptitious chef if I could feature his idea on my blog. “Sure,” he said, “just so long as you don’t tell anyone who I am. You’ll destroy my street cred!”

Don’t worry - your secret is safe with me, Trevor. Ooops!

For 10 sliders you will need...

Cajun Spice Mix

1 small clove garlic
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper


500g good quality meaty sausages (pork, lamb, beef – your choice)
100g Mozzarella, divided into 10 even pieces
A little olive oil or sunflower oil for cooking

Cajun Spice Mix - some like it hot!

1                    Using a pestle and mortar, pound all the spice mix ingredients together until the garlic is reduced to pulp and mixed to a damp powder with the herbs and spices – a food processor will do the trick too.
2                    Remove the sausages from their skins and place in a bowl. Mix until the meat forms a ball (hands are best for this job). Divide the mixture into 10 portions and form each into a ball. Make a dent in the centre of each portion and press a piece of mozzarella into each. Cover over with the meat, sealing the cheese inside. Flatten each portion into a patty. Sprinkle the spice mix over the patties, turning to ensure an even coating. Chill until ready to use.
3                    Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a gentle heat and cook the patties for about 4 minutes each side. You want a gentle sizzle going on so that the inside is cooked through long before the outside even thinks about burning.
4                    Sandwich between mini-burger buns, or mini pita rounds, or ciabatta as I’ve done with these. Serve with your favourite slider accompaniments.

My Cajun spice mix has a bit of a kick. If you can’t stand the heat, take it down a notch by reducing the amount of white pepper and cayenne.
Pin It

32 comments:

  1. These sliders sound fantastic and I love your photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! These sound fabulous! Tell Trevor not to worry, this dish is man food to the max!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Trevor..and a great location for a picnic. I love to eat outdoors at any chance I have.
    Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they were fabulous and Trevor's wife is still flabbergasted at his hidden talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made pork sliders which were very flavorful, but the idea of using sausage sounds even more tastier. Thanks for sharing-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great.

    I would be one of those that can't stand the heat. I always reduce the pepper i recipes like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of sliders before, they look great and sound tasty. I'll definitely try them. Also off to France for some SUN in a few days time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The picnic, the food - everything looks amazing! I LOVE the story and read it aloud to my husband and he belly laughed that you revealed Trevor's name! Wonderful story and BUZZED!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He shouldn't hide his talent, he should flaunt it. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big win for Trevor! Those sliders are super fantastique for your Pique Nique :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "A warm glow called sunshine- unheard of in Ireland" gave me a good laugh! It sounds like you guys had a great time & the sliders look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful location for a picnic! I hope you enjoyed the sun! The sliders look great...even the roll is incredible! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look great and who does not love to picnic al fresco? Galway has had a nice summer to date and we have taken advantage of this by eating outdoors but keep the umbrella handy.
    Lovely photos as always Hester.
    Móna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cajun sausage sliders... YUM! I love the addition of Mozzarella cheese.. What a beautiful scenery! Perfect picnic food at perfect location!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea to fill the sliders with mozzarella! Bravo! Hehehe is the weather really THAT bad in Ireland?? You should come down under... it is supposed to be winter and it was 24C and sunny today!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. A delightful story, Hester! Delightful meal! Any Italian would have been proud to share in that al fresco feast, even in sunny Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me at sausage! These sound so flavourful, and I'm sure that picturesque setting didn't hurt either.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved your story … and that Cajun mix! Mmmmm! Randomly, I ate at a Cajun restaurant on Sunday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the flavors you have put in those sandwiches. They sound superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is always a great idea to eat outside and to have everyone bring a dish. Trevor’s sliders sounds so good. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those spices look beautiful and wonderfully tasty. I love that photo of the mortar and pestal on the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow, gorgeous pictures! these look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those spices sound fabulous... I bet it makes the sliders absolutely delicious! Love the pictures too :) Thanks for sharing! Great post, Trevor!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it that you were eating Cajun sliders in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your sense of humor. Here in Seattle we worship the sun too whenever it decides to shine. Wonderful sliders. My husband would be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loving the idea of using sausage in sliders. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sliders with sausage and mozzarella...yes, please!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sliders are huge around here...and cajun sausage ones? Ooooeee! Poor Trevor, you busted his groove.

    ReplyDelete
  29. We've been seeing quite a lot of that rare ball of fire in the sky you speak of... Glad you had a nice trip and some good weather and oh my, those sliders just look wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the sliders, but a bit sceptical about this "sun" business - I think it might be an urban myth!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your opening paragraph gave me a laugh. Trust me I remember. These sliders look delicious. Le perfect picnique indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have got to try these little sliders. I love pretty much anything with a Cajun kick to it.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!