Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Honey, Lemon and Almond Tartlets – Having a Pollyanna moment!

Pin It
Everything you need for a Pollyanna moment!

My parents are watching the Dublin skies with bated breath, hoping that they are not going to be flooded again. I can’t even think about soggy carpets and destroyed books without getting upset on their behalf so I am going all Pollyanna and I am going to bake some golden tartlets and pretend it’s not happening.
These honey, lemon, and almond tartlets are a little bite of summer, and I guess if the worst comes to the worst, my parents could always lash them together and use them as a raft...

For 18 tartlets you will need...
... to pre-heat the oven to 160°C at step 3

Sweet Pastry
175g butter
75g caster sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1 egg, beaten
260g plain flour
a pinch of fine table salt 

1                    Using a stand mixer (or a large bowl and plenty of elbow grease) cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest. When light and fluffy and paler in colour, mix in the beaten egg and continue beating until combined. Add the flour and mix until it forms a soft paste. Shape the paste into a ball using floured hands. Flatten into a disc about 2.5cm thick (1 inch) and cover with cling wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
2                    Roll out the chilled pastry to a thickness of about 2mm (about as thick as a euro/pound coin). Cut out 18 rounds using a 10 cm (4 inch) round cookie cutter – or a flower-shaped cutter as shown in the photos. Line muffin tins with the pastry rounds. If any holes develop, simply use excess pastry to patch them up, pressing firmly into place – it’s a very forgiving pastry. Return to the fridge and chill for a further 30 minutes.
The pink flower-shaped cutter definitely adds Pollyanna-bility to the process!

Filling
4 egg yolks
100g runny honey
170mls double cream
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
100g breadcrumbs
75g ground almond  

3                    Place the egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk lightly while you add the runny honey. (I usually place the bowl on a weighing scales and weigh the honey directly into the bowl as I whisk – anything to save on sticky washing up). When the honey and eggs are mixed, add the cream and grated lemon zest and whisk until combined.  Add the breadcrumbs and almonds and mix until no dry breadcrumbs remain.
4                    Remove the chilled pastry cases from the fridge. Divide the filling between the pastry cases, allowing approximately 1 tablespoon of the mixture per tartlet. Transfer to the pre-heated oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until the filling has puffed up, is golden brown and feels spongy when pressed lightly with a finger. Carefully remove from the muffin tins and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cold with ice cream or whipped cream. 


Right, I’m off to eat that photo at the top of the page and think pleasant thoughts, although if anyone knows the opposite of a rain dance, please feel free to interrupt my Pollyanna moment.
Pin It

28 comments:

  1. I love your flower tartlets! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like running to my kitchen and bake this lovely tarlets! maybe I'll do it!
    O my good they're so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tartlets, Hester. I really need to learn from an expert like you on how to bake. You made it look so simple. Thank you for the share. :)

    ~ ray ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once you see the water rise, it is something that always comes to mind when it rains and yes I have been in a flood before. Nothing I want to experience again.
    Delicious flavors in these tarts and another bonus is that they look fairly easy. However, I am missing the flower like molds you used for making the crust. They do make for an amazing presentation

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am feeling upset on your behalf about the floods--I experienced them when I was living in Louisiana years ago and have never forgotten them. These tarlets are gorgeous--I absolutely love the flower shape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are insanely bbeautiful - cute delicious and again so cute!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, same flooding threats here in Oxfordshire. Not sure if I can think of any food that doubles up as a raft 'though! Denial and tartlets always works. You got it in one Hester! A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooohhh ... I'm going to eat that picture at the top of the page too!
    I wish I could do a backward raindance for you... can't even do one the right way :) Here's to non soggy carpets and books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, Hester! Loved these flowery tartlets...aren't these just right for Mother's day?! How cute...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm, what a treat! :) love the flowershape you used!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The food does look amazing

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always wanna try no things,this recipe is delicious..I liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh how adorable! I'd never considered using a flower cutter for tartlets before. Will definitely be doing this in the future so thanks so much for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, these looks so good, Hester! Exactly the kind of treat I like and I love that you used a muffin tin to bake them. I've got to get more creative with mine. I'm sorry your parents are having flooding issues. I'll think dry thoughts for you...

    ReplyDelete
  15. nothing like a good tartlet to take your mind off scary thoughts... these look totally fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh these are adorable. So clever to use the flower cutout and I love the mix of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so cute!

    I think the weather patterns have changed and we're no longer flooding every time we turn around. Sorry about the rain, hope it stops.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, these look fabulous, Hester...such a tasty filling and I LOVE the scalloped crust. What a neat idea to use the flower cookie cutter to shape the crusts. Have a wonderful weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your pollyanna moment, Hester. Crossing fingers that the rains are gentle. These gorgeous tarts are enough to forget anything. You've helped me forget that I just sprayed black shoe polish directly on my boots and I now have foot shapes on my cream marble floor. I needed this pollyana moment, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ...you're so cold. A tart raft!? I guess you have to laugh from crying, eh? :)

    Beautiful tartlets. The little flowers are so cuto

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the petal shapes, still raining here but we're up on a hill so we will see…..

    ReplyDelete
  22. A little bite of summer … and beauty! I can only imagine that crisp lemon flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea to make flower tartlets! So pretty to look at. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The tartlets are so pretty! I love the flower shape :) and the flavors are incredible! Thank you for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Luce absolutamente deliciosas y lindas me encantan están muy bien hechas,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Luce absolutamente deliciosas y lindas me encantan están muy bien hechas,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These don't only look delicious, but look so pretty. Think I'll make them for a wedding shower I'll be attending in early June. What a clever idea using the flower mould to shape your tartlets. Something I'll be incorporating into my baking habits. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!