Sunday, May 13, 2012

Onion and Orange Marmalade – it’s time to magic up a pot

Pin It

I have three amazing sisters who I would choose as friends if they weren’t already in my world. We have completely different lives, different styles, different ways of looking at the world. However we also have a lot in common. We have the same smile; the same wicked sense of humour that sometimes operates only on our wavelength; and thankfully most of the tears that are shed between us are tears of laughter.
We share a love of food, in particular a love of decent chocolate – my youngest sister even keeps chocolate in her first aid kit. We have been known to drive to the next county for proper fat chipper chips when a collective craving hits; and the jar of Sainsbury’s onion marmalade my mother keeps in her fridge mysteriously vanishes after a visit from the girls.
I’ve been experimenting however, and my taste buds think this onion and orange marmalade improves upon the Sainsbury’s version. It is a sweet and sour relish that loves cold meats, barbeques, cheese etc and is a doddle to make. As the picnic season draws near, it is time to magic up a pot.

For 1 small pot of onion and orange marmalade you will need...

4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
500g onions (prepared weight), peeled, cut in half from top to bottom and then thinly sliced into half moons
zest of an orange, (best removed using a vegetable peeler to slice off just the orange part, leaving the bitter white pith behind) finely shredded then cut into approximately 2cm lengths
160g granulated sugar
½ teaspoon fine table salt
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
100mls fresh orange juice
100mls white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1 hot chilli (optional), left whole, but pierced through with a sharp knife

Simple ingredients...
1                  In a medium-sized heavy-based saucepan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onions and the shredded orange zest and cook gently for about 10 minutes until the onions are translucent.
2                  Add the sugar, salt and cloves and continue cooking gently until the sugar has dissolved into the onion juices. When no sugar crystals remain, add the orange juice, white wine vinegar and chilli (if using). Turn up the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are honey-coloured and no liquid remains. This will take about 15 minutes. (The mixture will burn the instant you step away from the hob so resign yourself to being there for the duration –treat it as therapy if necessary.)
3                  If you’ve added the chilli, remove it before carefully transfer the mixture into a sterilised jar. Seal when cooled and keep in the fridge for up to three weeks.  

Best eaten in the company of exceptional sisters (and/or brothers).
Pin It

28 comments:

  1. This marmalade is magic alright - I would love to make a jar or 3 :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hester, I usually hate marmalade but have found it a new revelation as a chutney, http://wp.me/p2fe8y-7v.

    I also love the chilli addition. I think it's going to be paired with some cheese when I make it the week.

    Looking forward to your next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the chosen ingredient blend here. The the marmalade with the chili and then the slightly crisp onion must make for one delicious bite! This is another good condiment that is well worth keeping around! Delicious post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds absolutely heavenly! I can't say I've had this before but I can imagine the two of my very favorite jams (onion jam and marmalade) together, savory and sweet and zesty and tangy with the chilly! I'm very excited about this. Would you mind if I posted this with a link back to you if and when I make it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hester,
    thank you for the lovely coment in my blogue.
    I really like to visite you here, so today a became your follower.
    This marmalade is completely new to me I'd never think of mixing these ingredients together. I'd like so much to taste a bit!
    But what I liked the most was the way you "speak" about your sisters.
    I'll be back soon!
    A big kiss.

    http://tentacoesobreamesa.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hester, your orange and onion pot will vanish even quicker that the Sainsbury pot- that's for sure! Looks delish! I love your sister who keeps chocolate in a 1st aid box. Now that rocks! Can see why you are sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds just perfect, I definetely like the chilli addition.. I want some. Which reminds me, I'm soon to be doing another batch of firefoodie's chilli... how about a swap! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Jill - Isn't it such a great idea - chocolate in the first aid kit works on so many levels :)

    @ Anthony - Yes! Please! Your last batch of chillies was divine and went in a flash. If you ever decide on a career change...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would be a big hit in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Hester...this is gorgeous! I bet the sweetness of the onions pair so well with the orange. And all of that atop a piece of crusty baguette with a bit of cheese! I could make a luscious meal out of this. And your photography is just beautiful! Hope you have a great week! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am on a canning kick and I think I have all the ingredients in my pantry to make this. The onion and orange sound like a good fit. Perhaps my first aid kit would be a great place to hide my chocolate from the hubby. He will never think to look in there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. With the bbq season starting I can see this being a big hit in our house! I made onion marmalade before but never with orange! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so my kind of thing.. I am thinking this would be really good with a baked brie..I cannot wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I only have one sister but I understand what you mean. We're 10,000 miles apart but thanks to the interweb we talk frequently.

    I think if she made this onion and orange marmalade I'd move closer though.

    I make onion and roasted garlic jam but yours looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooh yum! I can think of quite a few sandwiches I'd love to spread this on.
    I wish I had sisters to share my food adventures with!

    ReplyDelete
  16. God don't tell me how to make that stuff myself. I'll be injecting it next!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh this marmalade is for me! I love sweet and a little savory! YUM Chica!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Hester! It’s been too long since I visited your blog. I hope you are well! I’ll have to make some time to catch up!

    It’s a very sweet post about your sisters; I envy your relationship with them. I have 3 little sisters too, but my relationship with them is not even close to what you have with yours. We are all very different and basically all live in our own world. For me as the oldest sister it’s been a lot of responsibilities. I always feel a bit responsible for them. Maybe things will change when they all have their own families.

    Back to your marmalade; it looks amazing! I think I have everything to copy this magical pot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have the BEST time with my 3 sisters, too! We are all about food...what we're going to cook next, shopping for the perfect ingredients, and having a whole lot of fun. Your marmalade sounds wonderful...thanks for sharing your homemade version~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks good! Congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a lot of oranges to consume and this recipe caught my attention, Hester! I gotta try this, especially summer is coming, this is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Hester! Congrats on the Foodbuzz Top 9! This beautiful marmalade really is meant for Foodbuzz top 9. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lots of magic going on over here at Alchemy Ireland! I love the combination of sweet and savory in a luscious, fresh condiment. Cheers, Hester!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I bet this is fantastic with grilled chicken or pork. The orange is unexpected for me but I love the way it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely delightful! 10 years ago I would have looked at this recipe and said "ewww! No way!", but today you have me craving it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great recipe, this looks super delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a delightful marmalade...great flavors!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!