Monday, August 27, 2012

Honey Vanilla Oatcakes – oh lord it's so hard to be humble...

Pin It
Oh lord, it's so hard to be humble...

Himself is but a man of simple tastes. Not for him the lure of double chocolate, chocolate chip anything. His ice cream of choice is vanilla; his cheese, mousetrap (aka Cheddar); his biscuits, humble (“plain, cheap, unsophisticated” biscuits such as rich tea, digestives etc).
Unfortunately for him, humble isn’t a word that exists in my kitchen vocabulary. The only time anything resembling a humble biscuit appears is when it’s going to be mixed with half a pound of melted butter and smothered in 3 inches of cheesecake.   
Reluctantly I agreed to a request for homemade humble biscuits and they started off pretty well… oatmeal… wholemeal flour… salt… all pretty humble ingredients. But then I *accidentally* shovelled in a load of butter and honey and a hint of vanilla. Good with a cuppa, these are excellent slathered with fresh goats cheese or Philly.

For about 20 oatcakes you will need…
… to preheat the oven to 180˚C

180g oat flakes
120g plain flour
60g wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
200g butter
100g runny honey
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

1.             In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oat flakes, plain and wholemeal flours, baking powder and salt.
2.             Place the butter, honey and vanilla extract in a medium saucepan over a low heat until melted together.
3.             Let the butter mixture cool before adding it to the other ingredients. Stir until the mixture comes together in a ball. Chill in the fridge for about half an hour – this makes the dough easier to handle.
4.             Roll out on a lightly floured surface (or between two sheets of cling film) to a thickness of about 3mm and cut into rounds (or flowers as I have done) with a cookie cutter. Re-roll any offcuts.
5.             Carefully transfer the oatcakes to a baking sheet leaving a few centimetres between each so that they bake evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack. When completely cold, store in an airtight container. 

 
Note: these make a delicious crumb base for my smoothie cheesecake (see I told you I couldn’t do humble!)
Pin It

19 comments:

  1. Humble indeed! I bet their shape alone entices Hester ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Una idea genial lucen increíble ricas y crujientes una verdadera tentación,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delivery system for goats cheese par excellence!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote no on humble whenever oats, honey, and vanilla are involved! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Accidentally" ... ya, right. :) Hehe ...
    There's nothing humble about homemade goodies. All the best quality ingredients and a whole lot of love! These look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so delicious I want to grab it out of the screen :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a big smile whenever I read your blog posts. I know I've told you this before, but you are so much fun to read. Lovely oat cakes make my visiting experience even better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so cute! I'm glad you jazzed up these humble biscuits and made such irresistible treats! They'd go perfect with the Irish breakfast tea I'm sipping :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) I think with such a passion for great food , it is hard to be humble!
    I lvoe the idea of these oat cakes. I actually love anything with oats in it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad the butter and honey and vanilla accidentally made it in these. Love the idea of slathering them with goat cheese too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A humble crumble that look so adorable, Hester. Love the shape, the sound and look of them next to the cup and in that cute jar. As for that cheesecake, the base sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...oh man. Forget humble! Give me vain, big-headed, arrogant biscuits forged with 20 pounds of butter. Me likey!

    I hope you're staying dry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha when it comes to good food... I forget being humble and ENJOY! But I have to say I really need to be humble about portion. That's the toughest part for me. ;) I love the flower-like shape! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Hester...I'm a humble biscuit girl, myself. Though I'm glad you added a bit of butter, vanilla and honey here, too! What a perfect way to serve a bit of cheese with my tea. (Oh and I LOVE your teacup set!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hester, I love your oat cakes - I cannot believe I bought flower shaped cookie cutters yesterday that look like the ones that you used for this recipe...guess what I will be using them for. I will let you know how they out - the family loves oats, so I am sure they they will be a hit!

    Thanks also for taking the time to visit my blog - I have to apologize for taking two days to "comment back", was a tad hectic this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Being humble is over-rated. Love this. And I could totally see this being a great cheesecake base. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Hester, you know, better late than never, I finally got around to baking your lovely Oat Cakes (I had remembered them all along) and posted them as part of ma FFwD post) - they were awesome! I will also post a pictuer etc. on my facebook page tonight!
    Have a great Friday evening!

    http://kitchenlioness.blogspot.de/2013/05/ffwd-anne-leblancs-pistachio-avocado.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hetsre, I do not know whether you have a chance to read the answer on my blog, so here it is again: Ever since I saw these Oat Cakes on your blog, I could not get them out of my head and I do not know why it took me sooo long to bake them, I guess there are just too many recipes in this world - but for those buttery Hass avocados and the rich Pistachio Oil, there were absolutely perfect! But do not hesitate to use an extra virgin fruity olive oil or if you happen to have walnut oil, that would be perfect as well, it is one of my favorites but it is also a bit expensive. And yes, we also had a bit of sunshine today, thank goodness!
    Have a great Sunday evening!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!