Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tattie Pot – reet good Geordie grub, lamb!

Pin It
Tattie Pot - reet good Geordie grub, lamb!

 
Last year my beloved was reunited with several old friends from his scouting days. It was a hectic weekend as the lads had several decades to catch up on. We returned to spend a more relaxing few days with our wonderful hosts from that weekend, Chris and Anne, who are justly proud of the fabulous countryside near their home in Northumberland.

One magical place we visited was Long Meg stone circle just over the border in Cumberland. You can’t visit the circle without popping in to The Watermill, an organic flour mill at nearby Little Salkeld.  It has a café and shop attached and does a great cuppa to wash down its wonderful scones and bread.  If you have a spare £850,000 lying about you might be interested to know it is for sale.


Buy this hen for £850,000 and get a free organic flour mill :)




If, on the other hand, you’d be hard pushed to rub £8.50 together here’s a meal that won't break the bank. This recipe came to Anne, via her friend Norma from her student days near Newcastle. It is reet good Geordie grub. It was designed to feed a family on thru’pence and was just what we needed after a day’s exploring.

You’ll need to chat to your local craft butcher to get lap of lamb but it is worth seeking out.

To feed 4 hungry people you will need…
… to preheat the oven to 180˚C

3 onions
4 carrots
4 large old potatoes
50g butter

½ teaspoon salt
750mls boiling water
1kg lap of lamb

1.                              Peel all the vegetables and cut into slices about 1cm thick.
2.                              Melt the butter in a large frying pan and add the slices of onion, trying to keep them as whole as possible. Fry gently until the onion begins to turn golden brown (about 5 – 8 minutes). Transfer to a casserole dish so that the onion is in one layer.
3.                              Scatter the carrots over the onions then arrange the potato slices in a layer over the carrots. Sprinkle the salt over the vegetables.
4.                              Carefully add enough of the boiling water to come halfway up the layer of vegetables – you may not need it all.
5.                              Sit the lap of lamb on top of the vegetables - skin side up. Transfer to the pre-heated oven and bake for 90 minutes. The meat should be crisp on top and almost falling to pieces and the potatoes should be golden on top.
6.                              Serve immediately and wonder how on earth something so simple can be sooooooo good.

Pin It

16 comments:

  1. This sounds so much like a dish my (yes, Irish!) mother often served called Students' Ragout. She used beef, but everything else the same. Simple foods -- alchemy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 850,000pounds is a LOT of money! I'd happily just stick to this recipe. :P I love lamb, it's one of my favourite meats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound delicious. Thank you for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks insanely delicious :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I'll take the hen (and the mill) what a lovely post and that looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny to think we were so near yet so far and in the space of a couple of weeks! One day I'll meet you, Hester...
    Reet good Geordie grub, indeed. Don't you adore their accents, reeght?Nothing to beat a good tattie pot like this one. In Scotland, you'd be called 'hen', ye understand, right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so appealing and satisfying...if only I had 850,000 pounds lying around so I could own that mill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks reet canny lass/hen/pet. My mother calls women all three of these! Ask them if they have a good recipe of pan haggerty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Jill - yes, wonderful accents! Hope you are enjoying Giverny - what a great place.

    @ David - ta for the lesson in Geordie speak - seeking out a recipe for Pan Haggerty right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sort of grub!

    I'll have to sweet talk my butcher!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grub never looked so delicious Hester! Looking forward to getting into more hearty cooking as the weather changes! What a lovely mill you visited...beautiful photos...hope you had a wonderful time! And what was it that I spied in the corner of your blog? Congrats on your nomination! Fingers crossed! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a pretty rich looking chicken. I think that 8 million might be quite a good deal :)

    I think I've only cooked lamb about 4 times in my life. I don't know why I don't make it more often! It's so delicious :) Bookmarking this one, darling

    ReplyDelete
  13. The lamb loving hubby would be thrilled with this amazing dish...such comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like such fun :) Great lamb dish as well! I have a friend who is a real fan of lamb and would love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a huge lamb fan yet some special meal like this I'll never ever skip! Checked the Watermill site and actually it's very pretty! If I'm rich I'd have this and ask someone to run and I visit whenever I need and want. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never had lamb, but I'm sending this recipe to a friend who LOVES it! :D

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!