Saturday, May 18, 2019

Chicken Wings – Go on! You know you want to!

Pin It


Chicken Wings - every time I see them on a menu the naughty imp on my shoulder whispers "Order them... order them... go on... you know you want to!"
And I do want to... but the healthy imp - a paid-up member of the calorie police - on the other shoulder warns “Noooooooooo. They’ll be disguised with a varnish of BBQ paint and be flabby and disgusting underneath - definitely not WTC*."
I have been so abstemious of chicken wings that of course now I have the biggest craving for these savoury little morsels.
In order to sneak a chicken wing past the calorie police, it must:

·        have a tan worthy of Coco Chanel
·        be succulent, juicy and redolent of spice, with a little chilli kick
·        be simple to make
·        be *Worth The Calories


For simple, succulent, tanned chicken wings for 4 – 6 as a canapé or 2 greedy people as a starter you will need...

Approximately 850g chicken wings
400mls water
6 tablespoons dry white wine (or dry sherry)
4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
4 tablespoons dark brown sugar, or runny honey
4 fat cloves of garlic, crushed
4 teaspoons of grated fresh ginger
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 red chilli, roughly chopped (the ‘heat’ is up to you – I prefer medium-hot for this dish)
1 ½ teaspoons fine table salt
¼  teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼  teaspoon Chinese five spice

Sunflower oil for frying
1 thinly-sliced scallion (spring onion) to garnish
a little sea salt to taste



If you have never examined a chicken wing before, you might like to know that it is made up of three bits: the wing tip, the wing, and the drumette. The wing tip has hardly any meat, so, using a heavy knife or a poultry scissors, remove at the joint and discard (or freeze for stock-making later). Divide the rest of the wing into two pieces at the joint. Place in a medium saucepan, along with the remaining ingredients (except the oil, scallion and sea salt).

Bring to the boil, then simmer gently, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Immediately, remove the chicken pieces from the cooking liquid. Drain on kitchen paper to remove any moisture. When completely dry, transfer to the fridge until ready to finish cooking.

To finish, heat the sunflower oil in a wok or deep fat fryer to 180°C. If you don’t have a thermometer, this is when a 1cm cube of bread dropped in the oil takes about 10 seconds to turn golden brown. I use my wok, filling it to about 1/4 of its capacity, as I use the least amount of oil this way. (Obviously, a wok of boiling oil should not be left unattended for one moment). You could use your deep-fat fryer if you prefer.

Carefully place the cooked wing pieces in the hot oil and fry until dark golden brown, turning once during cooking – this should take between 1½ -  2 minutes. Transfer to a dish lined with kitchen paper to remove any excess oil. Remove the paper and serve immediately, scattered with the sliced spring onion, and sprinkled with a little sea salt if necessary. 
Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Hester, we love chicken wings and I certainly would not mind eating a few of your fabulous looking wings right now! What a wonderful recipe, Chinese five spice powder is such a terrific ingredient and adds such wonderful flavor to Asian style dishes! They not only have a perfect tan and look succulent but they also seem simple to make and certainly worth the calories!
    Have a great Sunday night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made some boneless chicken wings myself! Chicken wings are one of my fav, definitely need to try your recipe.

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really must try this recipe next time I buy chicken wings. Love the way you have chopped them up too making them easier to handle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being veg sucks sometimes, these look so juicy and delicious :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made chicken wings last week and ate until I thought I'd pop. The dog got the last two because I simply couldn't fit them in.

    I think your recipe would cause me to find a way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I think it would be easy with this recipe to thwart the calorie police. Combining some ginger with the Five Spice powder sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am crazy for grilled or baked chicken wings... The stickier and the hotter they are the better! Fascinating, inspiring blog! I am so glad I have discovered it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Chinese five spice and cinnamon in your glaze. Chicken wings are worth every calorie if you ask me, and yours look incredible. I find if I have a craving for a favorite food, it's usually better to indulge it. Otherwise, I just end up binging on it later and eating more than I would if I just enjoyed it in the first place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chicken wings is something I cannot resist. I wish chicken was created with 4 wings on it. I'll even trade chicken breast for wings. Hehe. I love all the yummy ingredients that you used and how you perfectly fried these little goodies. I am drooling on these wings. Thank you, Hester! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seguro que está muy delicioso y jugoso este pollo me gusta,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wrote this long comment and my connection dropped. Figures. Love all the spices you added to your wings. Unfortunately food does call me, and I'm always arguing back.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love wings. When I was a kid, I remember I was too lazy to bite into meat with bones, but somehow my kids know the best part of meat and they love wings! :) My husband has been saying that we should share our (his) Five Spice chicken wings soon. Simple yet great flavor. Yours look perfect, and now I wish we have these for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to make chicken wings more often. These look absolutely mouthwatering! And all those flavors – delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, these sound amazing! My mom used to make an Asian wings recipe...and now I must try yours!!! Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had me at brown sugar and ginger! NOM! No chicken for me, but I have some friends who would LOVE me forever if I made these for them! HUGS Hester!!!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!