Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge – a delicious mistake !

Pin It

 
We all make mistakes. Hopefully, most of the time we learn from the experience, and we try not to make the same error again. However, sometimes a mistake is worth repeating.
I was aiming for smooth creamy fudge. Instead, I got crumbly Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge. In my book, ‘crumbly’ is not proper fudge. However, one of my taste testers - my lovely sister, Dee - sniffed out the jar of failed fudge I was saving to mix with ice cream and her reaction was: “Ommmfff! Mmmmmffffffff!  Ggggggggggnomnomnom.” – or words to that effect.
I think it must have been positive feedback because she agreed to taste-test the cheaty ice cream I made by mixing morsels of the fudge with softened vanilla ice cream and returning it to the freezer for days when I need a blood-sugar spike
For approximately 800g of slightly crumbly fudge you will need...
... a sugar thermometer  
500g caster sugar
150g condensed milk
150mls cold water
100g butter
½ teaspoon salt
100g smooth peanut butter
90g dark chocolate, broken into squares
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
 
I think I have a temperature...
 
1.      Place the first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat (I use a 2.5L pan for this amount). Melt together without stirring until the sugar has completely dissolved. Then turn up the heat to medium. The mixture needs to reach 238°F (soft ball) on the sugar thermometer, stirring occasionally to prevent the mixture ‘catching’ on the bottom of the pan and burning.  (Conventional fudge wisdom warns “DON’T STIR” ... as this can cause crystallisation... which leads to crumbly fudge. However, today I want crumbly fudge! )
2.      Once the soft ball stage has been reached, remove the pan from the heat. Without mixing them in, add the vanilla extract, peanut butter and chocolate. Leave the pan to cool for about 10 minutes and then beat (with a wooden spoon if you have lots of energy and elbow grease, or with electric beaters) until the mixture is very thick and loses its gloss.
4.      Transfer to a 20cm x 20cm tin, lined with cling film or parchment paper. Transfer to the fridge and leave to cool before cutting into squares.

Stored in an airtight container, or in the freezer, it will keep for up to 3 months and is outrageously good chopped into small pieces and stirred into good vanilla ice cream.
Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Good googly, this looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slightly crumbly is exactly how I'd describe my culture's take of fudge: Guyanese fudge! It's creamy but slightly crumbly and sweet... but not too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! That sounds delicious, great job :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog, and I have to say all of it is delicious! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hester, I like making my own ice cream from scratch and this fudge would be a wonderful flavor addition. Once I even added a 'pumpkin pie flavoring' to the ice cream and that was good too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this flavour combination, Hester, and it couldn't come at a better time: my kids asked me on the plane coming home from Scotland if I could make them fudge - and it looks like they'll remind me constantly as they also use this word rather many times, which is a new habit, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nobody who likes this recipe more than me. :) I can't wait to try it and mixing it in ice cream sounds dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hester, I love the way you describe your delicious looking fudge as "crumbly" Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge. It all looks and sounds quiet wonderful to me, like a real treat!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha I loved your sister's reaction! That fudge looks super yummy and I bet it was amazing mixed in ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you just love it when mistakes turn into something you make again and again! Wish I could be the test taster too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, after that good reaction from your sis. You could have said, "I meant to do that." Haha! I would probably have the same reaction after eating the fudge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love this kind of mistakes :D It looks amazing! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this kind of surprise result. It may not be perfect for someone, but there will be always other people who enjoys different texture. I always love "crispy" cookies and I slowly appreciate chewy cookies because people around me appreciate chewy ones more and I got to appreciate other things. Love to try your fudge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are the best kind of mistakes! Sounds delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious (crumbly!) mistakes (surprises!) are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hugs Hester! :D

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!