Monday, September 16, 2013

Basmati Salad – from leftover, to lively !

Pin It



I haven’t done a War On Waste recipe for ages – perhaps it’s because I’m getting much better at not wasting food. However, I miscalculated last night’s dinner and ended up with an extra portion of basmati rice left over.

It stared accusingly from the fridge so I introduced it to a few other ingredients. In the right company, and given an overnight in the fridge to think about things, it has become a lot livelier than it was before.
For quick and lively side-salad for 2 – 3 people you will need...

Salad
1 portion of cooked basmati rice, cold
1 large ripe tomato, diced
1 Braeburn apple, (or other crisp sweet-tart apple) skin on, diced
1 spring onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped pickled jalapeno peppers (optional)
25g walnuts, finely chopped
25g sultanas
1 teaspoon very finely shredded fresh mint 

Dressing
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 heaped teaspoon wholegrain mustard
¼ teaspoon fine table salt
a little freshly ground black pepper 

In a mixing bowl combine the salad ingredients.

Place the dressing ingredients in a screw top (or tightly-lidded) jar and shake well to combine. Pour over the salad and toss lightly to coat all the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for about half an hour to allow the rice to soak up the flavours.

This will keep some grilled skate company on my plate this evening.
Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Hester, this post has such a nice and catchy title - "from leftover, to lively" sounds promising and the salad looks delicious. Your recipe is very creative. I love it when peolple come up with new ways of using those nice left-overs. And the dressing with the wholegrain mustard certainly gets my attention!
    Have a great Monday - hope all is well, Hester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to cook less to avoid all the left-over dilemas, but I usually do end up with rice. I think I would give it another go round with these add-ins. Hope all is well, busy I'm sure.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice and innovative idea to use leftover..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a creative and healthful way of using leftover, Hester. Have a wonderful week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hester! This is my kind of salad. I'm with you on your war on leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like to waste either. My husband doesn't like leftovers so I struggle to make "newovers" from whatever is in the fridge. He'd like this salad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Maureen - 'newovers' - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delectable way to repurpose rice. It's been ages since I've made a rice salad...and you've given me a craving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being Indian, I love basmati rice and this looks like a great leftover food idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AND serving this in a glass dish shows this recipe off nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds really delicious, I like that you added apple!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing! I haven't made a salad for so long..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Apples, walnuts, jalapeños?!?!?!? My mouth is watering chica!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the idea of using leftover rice to "revive"! Never thought of using rice for salad! I usually freeze the rice whenever I get extra, but will try to keep it cold in fridge and try making salad. I was curious how you will season, and your dressing sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!