Sunday, September 22, 2013

Chicken ‘Kindorf’ Salad – Waldorf, kind of !

Pin It
 
Have you ever heard of William Arthur Ward before today? Me neither. However, you will probably know some of his words. He’s a guy frequently quoted by bumper stickers and fridge magnets and you’ll have seen this quote at some point in your life:
Every person has the power to make others happy. Some do it simply by entering a room, others by leaving the room.” So true.
For me, it totally applies to the grapes in Waldorf Salad. I know they are a classic ingredient of this classic salad but they have the power to make me happy by leaving the salad well alone.
Don’t worry. Several other non-classic ingredients that have the power to make me happy have entered the salad, and more than made up for the absence of grapes.
 
For Chicken Salad for 2 – 3 happy people you will need...
Dressing
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
¼ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
a pinch of salt 

Salad
1 large cooked chicken breast, sliced into bite-sized pieces
1 red-skinned dessert apple (I used Fuji), skin on, diced
1 stick of celery, peeled of stringy bits, finely sliced
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
15g almonds, roughly chopped
25g walnuts, roughly chopped
25g sultanas
35g ready-to-eat-apricots, snipped into sultana-sized pieces

 
Simply mix the ingredients for the dressing together until combined. Then add the salad ingredients, stirring them through the dressing until coated with the creamy sauce. Instant happiness!
(This also makes a great sandwich filling.)  


Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Waldorf Chicken salad has always been hit or miss with me as well. It's either extremely delicious or ehh. Your recipe definitely looks like a winner, can't wait to try!

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your version and with fresh fruit and raisins I would forget all about the grapes. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would be very happy to get this in a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the inclusion of fresh fruits, it brings this salad up :D
    Delicious!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom makes this salad with fuji apple and called it "apple salad" growing up. When I posted the recipe on my blog, someone says it's like "Waldorf Salad" and that's the first time I learned the name. Yours look so delicious, Hester! I'm going to try it and eat with bread like you presented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this - with or without grapes. I'm happy to eat your grapes anytime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hester, I have to agree with you about the grapes in a salad - rather not! Your Kindorf (got to love that name) Salad looks like a wonderful salad, chock full of delightful ingredients!
    Hope the weather is a wonderful in Ireland as it is here right now!

    P.S.: Before I forget, didn´t you mention in one of your comments on my blog that your sister loves marguerites - I found a "vintage" marguerite cake pan the other day and bought it - if you are still interested, let me know, it will and I will mail it to you!
    Have a lovely Tuesday evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had a Waldorf salad, but I'm sure I would like it a lot, at least the beautiful one from your photos. I am not sure about the grapes too... I don't really like them in savoury dishes, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case with this salad too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This salad is just lovely and super delicious and I would love it for lunch right about now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!