Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Avocado Nayo* – Vegan Alioli

Pin It
(*Nayo, not Mayo)

Some people remember where they were when Elvis died, or when John Lennon was shot. I remember the first time certain flavours hit my tastebuds. The first time I tasted creamy garlicky alioli - for instance - was on an almost deserted beach in Ibiza about a million years ago. I wasn’t too sure exactly what it was, but I wasn't leaving without the recipe.

After several decades of alioli addiction, I have stored a few kilos of it on my hips and along my arteries. It is time to look for a substitute. Swapping creamy ripe Avocado for the raw egg in a classic alioli makes a more than passable Nayo (nayo = not mayo). It is green (not necessarily a downside), and it lasts for about 4 days in the fridge (again, not necessarily a downside, as you’ll have to consume it relatively fresh). And, surprisingly, it doesn’t taste much of avocado.

I tend to make it in smallish batches because of its shelf life. Use it with anything you’d use alioli for. You’ll need a food processor or similar for this. The recipe is easily doubled... or trebled... or quadrupled... (you might want to cut down on the garlic a little when multiplying up though)

For about 250g of creamy, green, not very avocado-tasting Nayo, you will need…

The flesh of 1 large ripe avocado
3 tablespoons of light oil (such as sunflower, hemp, walnut)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon strong Dijon mustard (obviously Dijon has no place in a classic alioli but I love the layer of flavor and the tiny bit of heat it adds)
1 small clove of garlic, crushed
¼ teaspoon salt

Blitz the avocado flesh in a food processor (or similar). Add the rest of the ingredients and blitz until smooth and creamy and all the ingredients are combined. Cover, excluding as much air as possible, and keep refrigerated until needed. Will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge but best used sooner.

Coleslaw with 'Nayo' - 'I'm not so green as I"m cabbage looking'
  
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. One of my favourites! Delicious and so much healthier than mayo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angie, a new favourite of mine too. I actually like it way way better than shop bought mayo and just as much as traditional alioli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn . . . . and I just used my last avocado after waiting for days for it to ripen! I'll be patient until I can make this. (I really don't like mayo, anyhow>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rosemary, good to hear from you. When I first tasted avocado I thought it was absolutely revolting, however we have become firm friends since. I'm not a huge fan of mayo either (the stuff in the jar) but this I could eat on toast.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts - I'd love to hear from you!